Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Choke Problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I'm hoping that one of you guys has run across this before...

I was driving in to work today (84 K5 Jimmy, 350 Carb), and I heard a small 'pop' sound -- May have been behind the dash, or in the engine room... The choke light went on, but nothing else happened. I checked it out after I got home tonight... The choke fuse had blown. I checked all the wiring I could get my hands on, no chafed wires, nothing touching anything that it shouldn't... that I could see anyway. I replaced the fuse, and it blew again instantly, so it's definately shorting somewhere.

From what I can tell from searching through posts, the choke is only supposed to have two wires running two it -- the 'switched' 12V and ground. Is there anything else on the same fuse as the choke?

I'll try to give it 12v straight from the battery tomorrow to see if it'll run, and then I'll go from there. It could be shorting out under the dash for all I know. The last guy to own this truck went pretty wiring-happy on it.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

It could be the electric heating element in the choke has "shorted" out. Try disconnecting the plug at the choke and see if the fuse still pops. If it does, then it's the wiring. If it doesn't then its the choke element. As far as anything else on the circuit....unless the previous owner did something, there should be nothing else on the choke circuit.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem in my 86 Silverado. Before I found the blown choke fuse the engine would keep stalling and then I could barely get it started again. I replaced the fuse and it then ran perfect. But, in your case it must be shorted somewhere.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin