Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric choke problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Dec 11, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had some major choke problems today on my q jet. i don;t know what started it but the fast idle was way high probably around 1500 to start, then it got higher and higher. it got to about (guessing here) 4000-5000 rpm before unbolted the choke spring and everything. didn't do it the rest of the day, except for a kinda steep hill where throttle was required (got video on this) and the idle was high again. i shut it down and didn't have a problem since

how hard is it to fix this, what exactly was wrong with it? should i just go with a manual choke? is it posible on a rodchester qjet? i loved my q jet up until this happened, now it runs like it should without the choke being there.

also, at the start of the day it was running like total crap, couldn't go beyond 1/4 throttle before it would start to flood out. it was running extremely rich. it idled fine then :dunno:

2. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

sounds kinda like what happened to my carb right before the fast idle stopped working. nobod'y got back to me on that yet though

3. big83chevy4x4

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know. I wish I could find someone that was good at setting these electric chokes. I picked up the Rochester book everyone recommends, and it doesn't say squat about how to set an electric choke. I can't get my fast idle to even engage.

So I will help keep your thread alive.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try turning the choke can back some , towards the firewall :k5: :k5:

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You may need to just disassemble and clean it , it probably bound up . You can go manual hoke to the flap in the airhorn , but you need to rig it up yourself using the cable in the help section of the auto parts store :k5: :k5:

7. big83chevy4x4

i was cleaned this summer and after that was the first time i had problems with it.
    anyway, i started it today, it starts just a bit harder, but runs SO much better. maybe i will go with a manual choke, where exactly do you hook it? got any pics?