Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric choke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86IAK5, Sep 21, 2000.

1. 86IAK5

86IAK5 Newbie

Sep 19, 2000
    Help! I've searched many past posts on this but still no luck fixing the problem. I have a 86 blazer 305 rochester 4barrel 100,000 miles. Everything is original. The choke will not always open all the way, although sometimes(but less and less frequently)it works fine. Somedays I get 2 miles from home and it will die on the highway(I carry a clothespin with me) other days I'll drive my 4 miles to town and think all is ok only to have the fast idle still on and the carb not quite all the way open. I've adjusted the choke several times, cleaned the linkage very well with carb cleaner then sprayed with wd40. Power is getting to the choke. I dont want to spend the money on a new choke but may have to. Is it hard putting one on? Sorry this is so long but I'm tired and discouraged.
  2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Feb 20, 2000
    Sounds like you are missing a part, check a shop manual or check another truck with a stock carb.