Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric choke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaize, Mar 27, 2000.

1. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

The carburator choke on the "Green Meanie" ('85, 350 5.7-L) does not work: it remains closed when engine is warm. I checked the wire going to the electric choke unit for voltage, and after cleaning the electrical contacts, it does have 12 volts. I was told by a "mechanic friend" (these two words seem to be contradictory, lately...) that this electric choke needs to be replaced. He told me that it is a "dealer-only" part and is $85.50, and the labor would be $45.00. Since I have just done the u-joints and the brakes, I'm feeling pretty good about working on her, so my questions are: (1) What other tests can I do to confirm that this electric choke is the problem ? (2) Are there other sources for this part than the GM dealer ? (3) What other bits 'o info do I need in order to proceed ?

I have read the Haynes manual, and am now thoroughly confused about this electric choke, and am looking forward to hear from you all ! Thanks, in advance !

2. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing that you have the stock Rochester Quadrajet. I just rebuilt the Quadrajet on my 1986 K5 w/305. Fortunately my electric choke was good, but I broke the choke housing. When I went to the dealer to get a price for just the housing they quoted me about $80. Of course, this included the electric choke coil which I did not need. Your choke coil is probably held on by either rivets or screws. If riveted, you will have to drill off the rivet heads, otherwise just remove the screws and inspect the coil. If it is rusted, or looks bent out of shape, you should probably replace it. Rather than pay $80 for parts I didn't need, I found this place on the web called Carbs Unlimited at www.quadrajet.com. Or give them a call at 1-800-994-CARB. Although it was used, I got the choke housing that I needed for $25.00. Maybe they can give you a better deal. If you need more detailed info, look for the Rochester Carburetor book by Doug Roe. Haynes also makes a quadrajet manual. Hope this helps.

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I've had the same problem here lately. Been think'n about buying stock in STP carb cleaner! Make da*% sure you've got linkages as clean as you can before dropp'n that kind of coin. I half-a@@ cleaned mine & it cleared up for a couple of days then occured again. Frustrated, I got real serious with linkages, spray everything good! While cold, engage the choke with throttle side of carb, spray real good on high idle cam area b/t choke & carb body. Use finger to kick off high idle cam & spray again. Let it sit for a few mins to work into crevices. Go back and do it again and work everything that moves while spraying. Give it a chance to dry. After that, I used Liquid Wrench (contains Teflon) on the linkages & fast idle cam areas. Used dielectric grease on electric connection (after sanding off oxidation). Plus, gave the choke a very light tap with a wrench. Haven't had a problem since (but still pray'n).

Grim gave me the following advice on checking the electric side of choke(mine came out okay):

"Should be 12v there anytime the engine is running. This keeps the choke
    heated and the choke dropped. It is designed to cool slowly so it doesn't
    kick the choke on without the engine also being cold. The thing grounds
    through the silver backing plate to the rim of the housing. if it's not real
    snug it's posible that it would form electrolisis and loose ground.
    If you don't find any problems there than next time this happens try
    disconnecting the power lead and checking the resistance by touching one
    lead the the power connection and one to the body of the carb. Should be
    about 50 ohms I belive. If it's like a 1000 ohms (in ohms the less is the
    higher resistance) either the carb is not grounding or the heating element
    has failed."

Check this for the entire thread: http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=1165&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Hope this helps,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

autozone $24.99 thats what I paid for mine