Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fan choices

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Nov 22, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

im sick of hearing my fan chop my shroud when my 74 flexes, so im thinkin of goin electric. what do yall run, and what should i l;ook for?

2. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

It cost a bit but I went with the Black Magic from Summit Racing. It comes with the wiring needed to install but it took a little engineering to get it mounted to the radiator. I have it wired so I can run the fan all the time, have it on auto, or turn it off when wheeling in deep water/mud to keep from slingin' it everywhere.

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hey Travis, do you run it with your orginal fan? Got a 6.5 diesel here. Hayden wants $345.00 just for a replacement clutch for it!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too have the Flex-A-Lite M150 and I donot have an engine mounted fan. I am useing a 3row rad. with a summit high flow water pump on my 350. My rig runs between 180-200. 200 is during the summer when on a trail in 100+ temps or sitin at a stop light in summer.Cooler weather it never really gets above 195 mostly 185. I love it and no flex fan noise eather! The CFM rating is what you need to cool your motor and the M150 is 2800cfm were most others are way down in the 1600cfm area so you need two or three to do the job!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't know the CFM mine puts out, but it is a single electric off an IROC-Z, mounted in what I believe is an IROC shroud with L brackets. Think you can it fairly good on the TPI 406 page on my site, click below. So far, it is awesome, haven't had it running in summer yet, but it keeps my 406 cool in traffic in 55 degree weather, which is NOT summer heat. I don't anticipate any problems tho, as I have a 4 row radiator and that fan pulls some serious air with a good shroud around it mounted up against the radiator. Bet you could find one in a junkyard no problem, then add the wiring/thermostat kit fairly cheap.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com