Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fan install.....some problems>?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Jan 25, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Just as it says, This is a 16" 5 blade fan from a midsize SUV I believe, real similar to the camaro fans, I mounted it to the face of the radiator with some long bolts through the fins on the radiator and some rubber squares with nuts behind them, but the one side, "sort of the frame" is flush against the radiator does this cause anyone else problems mounting it this way?\
    Now the problem, I bought a thermal switch from the parts house that screws into the manifold and has two "male" pronges to connect the power leads to, but the parts guy couldn't tell me what the temp of the switch was the book said nothing and we looked at many of them. So assuming surely it was average to have them all come on with in about 10 degrees I bought it and hooked it up to the port in the front of the manifold, DIDN'T WORK got real hot (not in the red)above normal and never came on. So I hooked up a manual switch for now and will order a real thermostat from summit I guess. They also sell a mounting kit that mounts the fan flush against the rad. like I have it. so I assumed it was fairly safe. All experiences welcome
    OW, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like the throttle response and other qualities it brings!!!!!!!!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need to fab up some real mounts for the fan. Those things that stick through the radiator will vibrate and eventually saw through the tubes in your radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm sure there are a lot of places in Alaska where you DON'T want to be stranded! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You could test the thermal switch with an ohm meter, a thermometer and a pan of water heated on the stove. Just suspend the switch and thermometer so they aren't resting on the bottom of the pan. This will give more accurate readings. Then see what the water temp is when the switch finally closes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Many factory electric fans don't come on until the 210-230 degree range! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I have two Black Magic electric fans mounted side by side on my radiator. The temperature senders are incorporated into the fan housings so I didn't have any issues there. As for the mounts, I got some flat metal stock from the local Home Depot that are approximately 1/2" wide. I welded two studs onto the flat metal brackets and then mounted the brackets to the upper and lower frame of the radiator. The studs stick out toward the engine, and allow me to slide the fan assembly over the studs and secure it with a lock washer and nut. After a year and a half of driving my Suburban with this set-up, I have had no problems with the fans or the radiator. It is a very secure set-up that should hold up to most anything thrown at it. Hopefully this will help you to think of another way to mount your radiator. Good luck!

4. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I will have to change my mount for sure I dont want the rad. leaking It should be fine for a week or so right? THX for the reply I will just have to buy a different thermal switch I want it to come on at 180 not 210-230 that seems a little to high. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure to give yourself some tempertaure leeway between fan turn on temp and thermostat rating, or you'll have a fan that is on all the time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As mentioned before, GM cars running 195* t-stats turn the fans off quite a bit higher than that, well upwards of 200*.

FWIW, I ran my truck with no fan for a week to see how it worked, and really, you don't need a fan unless you are sitting still or going up hills at low speed. (as long as the cooling system is working right) So my thinking is that 210*+ for fan temp cut in is about right. Not so high that you have no reaction time, but 210 isn't too much over 195, and again with properly operating components, you have a fair amount of time to react should the temp keep climbing for some reason, but without having the fan on all the time.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only other thing to be aware of is that the factory systems will run the fan all the time when the a/c is turned on. Probably not an issue in Alaska, but it can cause problems sitting in traffic on a hot day with the a/c running if the fan isn't running.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i rarely turn mine on. so far they are fully manual. i have 2 a 16" and a 12" both mounted on brackets, not through the rad fins. if you pay attention to your gauge you dont *need* a auto stat. i had no idea how little you really use them, cept for 4 wheeling and traffic.
    Ryan

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got dual fans on 88.One is on man.switch.Got other on air cond circuit so it runs when air is on.Works good.Also got HOWE alum. radiator .Could tell diff. in power off idle. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif