Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fan Install Write-up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 29, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good to me! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for taking the time to do this...I havne't done it yet but this is something I might do in the future! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Click --> Add to Favorites. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I just read through it and it is good. However, there are some typing errors.

1st Caption: Last Sentence: "to" should be "two"
    2nd Caption: Last Sentence: "Since I took my AC out I’m not sure if there will be any room to actually put a fan on the front side of the radiator, if you have an AC condenser you might want so see if it fits first."<-- The first half of this sentence sounds like you have LESS room now that you have taken your AC condenser out.
    3rd Caption: 3rd-4th Sentences: "Ground the negative to the radiator support or frame. And crimp the positive to wire running through your firewall to a mounted switch in your cab."<--Should be one sentence.
    3rd Caption: 5th Sentence: "...connecting to the positive in on your battery."<-- in/on

I'm really sorry. My extreme state of boredom has pushed me to do silly things to keep myself entertained. I am sorry that I have victimized you with my boredom. I really shouldn't be critically reading anyone elses typing when my own is so poor. Just a few touch up things to make your story THAT much better. I really enjoyed it, and you planted another idea in my head which will allow me to sink even more cash into my very own money pit.
    No hard feelings.
    I am just an a$$hole. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nice write up.

I do want to point out something that a lot of 4wheelers are finding with the Zip TIre clips. All that bouncing around with the weight of the fan starts doing in the core. Stree vehcile it's probably fine but a 4x4....Starting to hear a lot of folks having problems.

So how does it do idling temps with the fans on?

I'm thinking of going electric on my burb. Just want to be sure it's moving enough air to keep the engine cool and the A/C going.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

very helpfull! thanx! ive been thinknig about doing this to loose the clutch fan..and so i could turn it of in deep crossings to. why do they have to be offset though? and do you need to run the fans one on each side or what? i have an ac condenser on my truck..which i would probobly just take out cause its not hooked up anyway.

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Use the AC Condenser for on-board air! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Good writeup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Are you running the fans thru relays?
    If so you can have them automatically turn on/off with a thermal switch and bypass it with a separate toggle switch. Im not sure why you would run fans on both sides of the radiator, If you have A/C and a tranny cooler these need constant airflow over them to work properly so the fan should be wired up to the compressor wire so it comes on when the air is on.

I still believe if switching to electric fans AND you have the large radiator the Dual Winstar fans are a perfect match. They fit the complete radiator so mounting can easily be done with L-brackets and you get complete coverage with the dual fan shroud. Also the Lincoln Mk-8 single fan is larger than than the Taurus and pulls about 5000CFM's.

I have done the Winstar fan swap on hi-perf big block cars and it keeps them cool when cruzing/idiling during the summer months. I have a second set to do my Blazer this winter.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah Grim...the zip ties that go through to the clip fawked up my radiator too. Actually 'tore' a hole in the radiator /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I think a 'solid' mount to the outside of the radiator support would be a better solution and would handle the vibrations ALOT better...and at the same time save your radiator...

I have two 14" perma cools that pull, if I remember correctly 5600cfm and they worked good....I think they would work alot better with a shroud around them of some sort...I plan on doing one and getting a four core radiator once I get the Blazer going again. I am gonna do something like this one of these two 'shouds':

http://community.webshots.com/album/27011877IJsJEhiyEn

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292465889

Both good...I like the first one (Rob...502burban) because it has it spaced out from the radiator an inch or two. Both are great jobs though...I actually believe Rob got the idea from BobK (2nd link) if I remember correctly/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up though...good job/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Be sure to let us know how it works out/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hrm never really thought about the zip ties doing much damage...good call.

You don't have to put the fans offset, but I did.

Driving in light traffic on a cool day at 35-65 mph my temp never crossed 190, with fans on, it dropped to around 170-180... idle seems to be normal, maybe better cooling than clutch fan?

Clubba, thanks for corrections. I was too lazy to proofread, so thanks.

I also hear you can make your AC condensor a tranny cooler, if you have a slush box (auto).

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hrm never really thought about the zip ties doing much damage...good call.

You don't have to put the fans offset, but I did.

Driving in light traffic on a cool day at 35-65 mph my temp never crossed 190, with fans on, it dropped to around 170-180... idle seems to be normal, maybe better cooling than clutch fan?

Clubba, thanks for corrections. I was too lazy to proofread, so thanks.

I also hear you can make your AC condensor a tranny cooler, if you have a slush box (auto).

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting to sound like the way to go. The fanclutch was bad when I bought the truck so I replaced it with one from Autozone. That one was as bad as the 14 year old it replaced. Swapped it again. Hay this one locks but it takes FOREVER to unlock and it's made a noticeable decrease in MPG. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

My worry is power. This truck is going to be pulling a travel trailer. It has a 105 amp alternator but it will also be chageing atleast one if not two batteries on the camper when it's plugged up. Burb is fully loaded so it already has a hell of a lot of power draw when running both A/C and lights. Proably go with the Windstar set up. I have seen a few pictures and it's a really clean install. Run one fan off the existing thermos switch in the head and run the second on a adjustable so come on around 180. Proably swap the existing down to a 200-210. The manual says it has a 220 in it.