Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fan mounting pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Feb 4, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, here's some pics of the electric fan brackets that I envisioned, and my dad made into reality. (so nice having someone that is retired, and owns a welder, handy)

fan mounting

Nothing really earth shattering there, but will give some of you an idea of what it takes to mount LT/LS1 fans in one of these trucks. Not real happy with the gap at the top, potential for the fans to suck warm air through there, so I may make a soft rubber flap for that, but I've got to get the truck running to test that before I build something else. Should have no problem with air flowing through on the freeway though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I had used the 17" radiator (short one for the trucks) the fan install might look cleaner, but since I had to get a new one anyways, the 19" 3 core was the way to go.

I obviously didn't make any attempt to clean up the engine bay for the photo op, but in the picture from the drivers side you can see the #1 tube of the Hedman's, and the "half serpentine" belt system off of a Monte SS. That's an '88 TPI Camaro upper radiator hose attached to a "1986 K30" radiator. (only important because the later radiators have a smaller upper radiator hose fitting than earlier)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That turned out very nice. If you are meaning you are considering covering part of the exposed radiator above the brackets, I think I would leave it open. Leaving it open won't affect the fan's ability to draw as you have them sitting up close to the radiator and although you won't gain much from having airflow on that top portion of the radiator, I think it is better off left as is.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good Dorian. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

4. dyeager535

It's further back than it looks. There's a good 2" of space between the cores and the fans, and if you look at factory applications, there is almost NO gap between the fans and the core.

I'm just thinking of using a thin flap of rubber that will "open" while cruising, but lay down on top at idle and slow speeds, when the fans will be doing the work.

Like I said though, once I have a chance to test the setup out, I'll know for sure. My belief is that with a new 3 core, fans designed to cool a 350 with a smaller radiator, and more frontal area than the fan donor vehicle, I have a large margin for cooling "error", so we'll see. I have another motor in a car that is borderline on keeping cool, and it's no fun to drive when it gets warm and you are stuck in traffic. (made engine break in a little scary too!) Just want to make sure I don't have ANY cooling problems with this thing.

Plenty of people do have problems keeping their rigs cool, thus why I'm concerned with "the little details" on mine.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Plenty of people do have problems keeping their rigs cool, thus why I'm concerned with "the little details" on mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the plenty catagory. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The rubber flap idea sounds like a good one though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

John

6. dyeager535

I'm just copying GM's idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you look closely at those fans, you can see that there are two fairly good sized rubber "flaps" that open up when the vehicle is cruising. If necessary, I'll do the same thing at the top between the radiator and fan shroud.

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Dorian,I agree with sealing the fan to the rad.I wouldn't worry about having that seal flap at higher speed.The fans have plenty of free flow when off at highway speeds plus the shroud itself has those rubber flaps to add any needed CFM's

I used this temp housing on my TPI.It orientates the outlet in the same direction as the orig. TPI T-stat housing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The application is for a 64-78 chevy truck with a 327.

This allowed me to use the orig. large rad hose and larger 4 core rad. with the large inlet.
    I mention this only for future reference.Just incase that 3 core won't cut it.

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks like the link to the pic is busted. Maybe you went over the bandwidth limit!

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

No bandwith limits with imagestation.com
    Fixed it anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

Yeah that didn't take long at all! I didn't think the pics were that big, but oh well. Probably the daily limit that got me. Thats what you get when you pay $0 for hosting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Should be up in a day or two.

FWIW, you should be able to get the small water neck 4 core radiator as well, I just didn't feel like dealing with changing brackets (since the fans now bolt to them) extra price, and so on.

The corroded two core that was in there cooled the worn out 350 fine, so I figure a new 350 with new 3 core should do fine. I don't really like the smaller diameter hose though. If I had known about the larger diameter piece I would have probably used it. What did you use for a hose donor?

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I used the one that's spec'd out for my 71 Blazer.I cut it up and used the different angled pieces to make up something that fit nice.

This is what I had rigged with the smaller TPI T-stat housing and the orig 4 core rad.Can you say red-neck!
    [​IMG]

Got a scap piece of aluminized exhaust pipe and put a bead on it.Then painted it gloss black.
    [​IMG]

This is how it ended up looking.Not bad I think.
    [​IMG]

12. dyeager535

Nope, looks good! My ait inlet is probably going to have to be rigged up similar.

Had a TBI truck thermostat housing laying around, and tried that, but no way it would clear the throttle body. I just *assumed* that since all the other Chev housings I'd seen short of the TPI one, came off at a fairly steep angle, all of them were just like that.

Looking at your pics though, the way I'm going to "have" to run the air inlet, I don't think I could use your setup, as it looks like the MAF/air inlet would run into it. Mine is going out the drivers side, so the straight out TPI neck is almost a necessity. Pictures can be deceiving though, there might be enoguh room to clear both the MAF/air inlet and that hose setup you have.

Good option for others to know about, for sure!

13. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dorian, What year LT-LS1 are the fans out of? Can I ask how much did they set you back? Where did you get them? I am running one single 16 fan s blade fan and its just not enough. I like the flex-a-lite dual fan set up but thats alot of bucks. Your idea is sweet and looks like it will fit the bill. How did you wire it up, both fans running off a temp switch? Sorry about the 20 questions but that is a nice install. Thanks for the information. Slider

14. dyeager535

Had to go back to ebay to check, I purchased these over a year ago. They are LT1 fans, but the info for what year Camaro's were what engines should be readily available on the 'net. I can't recall which years were which. Apparently the LT series was before the LS.

I paid right around $75 on ebay, which is where I purchased the ones I have. These were purchased before the Windstar setup became popular, I probably would have at least checked out the windstar setup had I known at the time.

Not wired up yet, but I've got two basic ideas. One fan will be ECM controlled (but I'm going to program the PROM to have the fan come on sooner than the stock camaro setup) and the other will also be controlled by the ECM (so both fans at the same time) or I will just run a simple temperature switch in the block for the second fan. So if the first fan can't handle the engine load, once it reaches the fan switch temp, it would come on.

I kind of like the idea of only having a "primary" fan doing most of the work, and a secondary for "emergency". Would probably keep the fan cycling rate down having only one fan working, which might make it a bit quieter, but more importantly, less noticeable on the electrical system.

FWIW, I hooked these fans up before outside of the truck, and they were pretty darn quiet. No "roaring" from them, so I'm not sure how effective they are going to be. They are still fairly small fans, but with a mild small block and good cooling system, they should be fine.

I might look elsewhere for a big block or hot 350 though, as the LT/LS1 fan setup doesn't use all the space available. (fine with a 17" tall radiator, but most of our trucks are 19", so 2" of "wasted" fan space) You could fit one huge electric fan in there, or two larger ones than the LS/LT1's.

15. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Windstar set up? Must have missed that one. Any info?

16. dyeager535

Don't know what years, since I already have fans, but apparently a Ford Windstar application is almost a bolt in on the trucks. Some minor trimming apparently, and they move lots of air.

Try a search, it has been brought up in less than 9 months I'm sure.

Edit: been using these things for 8 years now (holy cow) and haven't had a failure of any sort, and no overheating. Definitely adequate for a mild small block with manual trans.

Edit edit: still working fine, but considering Windstar fans as I plan to run a smaller radiator where the AC Condensor normally sits.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015