Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fan questions...more...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, May 21, 2002.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" body lift on my '72 which makes it so I can't use the fan shroud. I would like to go with an electric, but they are very expensive and I'm not sure how to find a good one.

I found a site that said that i need at least 3000cfm for a small block v-8. is this accurate? can I get away with 2700-2900? (most of the fans I've found are in this range max.)

I picked up a dual fan setup at a junkyard off of a '94 camaro. anyone have a cheap way of controlling them from the temp gauge?

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: electric fan questions

as far as wireing it goes just run it to a hot lead with the key on so when you turn your truck on the fan is on you could also put a toggle switch in to manualy turn it off for water crossings and such that is how im going to wire mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I have a BlackMagic 2800 CFM single fan in my 71 with a ZZ4 and a 4 row radiator. With a 160 deg stat it has no problems holding the temp in the head at 170-180 deg.

Summit sells them for like $200. <a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=216>http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=216</a>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You can run a Flex-A-Lite M150 BlackMagic rated at 2800cfm. But I strongly sugest upgrading to a 4core rad if you haven't allready. The combo of the two will keep you cool.
    I have this fan on my rig. I use it as a tril riding backup when my cluchfan just can't keep it cool when working hard out on the trail during the hot summer months.
    I too have a body lift and I am using my shroud. The bottom of the shroud is cut off. 1/2 a shroud is better than no shroud!
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck

6. WD Steeves

WD Steeves Registered Member

Check out the twin 12" fan kit I used on my Blazer.It is available from Classic Heartbeat.250.00 for the kit and it has everything you need,you can get a stainless shroud or painted the colour you want,even an aluminium shroud.See it installed at http://community.webshots.com/user/wdsteeves

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

What if you got one from a junkyard. how would you know what kind to ghet?

nathan

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

For reference - I have a 406 motor (*supposedly* notorious for running hot), a 4 core radiator and run an IROC electric fan mounted in a shroud, and actuated by a sensor probe in the radiator. Have no idea what the CFM rating is but it works perfectly for me. Pic or two of it on my site, you can see it on the "ORD steering brace" page.

9. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I just got a twin fan setup out of a '94 camaro that seems to fit almost perfect to my stock radiator. I just need to find a way to control them now. I want to stay away from a manual switch if possible.

any idea's out there? (cheap one's)

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

Painless Wireing has one that I used for my dual electric fans.It uses a preset thermostat that threads into the head.When the coolant reaches a predetermined temp. it will automatically turn on the fan via a relay.I've got the 180 thermostat in my truck(I run a 185 F. thermostat in the engine)
    It's real easy to hook up and performes well.
    Here's a link to Painless Wireing's site.
    It's part # 30101
    http://www.painlesswiring.com/relays.htm

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

In my peterbuilt the 425 cat has a 190* thermostat and the fan clutch turns the fan on at 210*. Plus I have a manual override switch on the dash to turn the fan on earlier.