Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fan wiring problem???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jan 20, 2004.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a dual electric fan set up from flex a lite, but I changed the wiring. It came with a termostat controll box but I did not like the way it turned the fans on and off and it would let it get too hot before it would kick them on(yes it was adjustable and no that did not fix the problem). Anyway my problem now is that I got rid of the box and wired it to the ignition. I ran the main power from the battery through a relay then to the ignition but it keeps on blowing the inline fuse from the battery. I have tried a differnt relay and larger fuses but it still happens. It also will run for a while before it blows so I do not think it is to much power at start up. So if anyone has a better way let me know???
    P.S. the weather here is warm enough so I don't need it to be run off a switch, it works better if it runs all the time.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Wiring

Heres a schematic of my friends wiring setup for his dual fans. I have adopted a similar setup. Need to make sure your alt is big enough to carry the loads and the wiring feeding the fans is also large enough.

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

when you say you got rid of the box, are you talking about the variable speed control or did you just bypass the temp sensor connections? what model do you have?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So you have the fans run all the time that the ignition is on? That's gotta be workin' the old alternator overtime! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You might want to think about getting some fusible links to feed power to the fans. Beefy enough to keep the fans running, but would still keep your truck from catching fire in the event of a direct short.