Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fan Wonders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 12, 2001.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I'm tossing around the idea of removing my fan and going with the electric variety, but am wondering if an electric fan setup would work as well in a cold climate. Up here in Alaska the temps can drop to -40 or more. Right now my rig has a 3" body lift, so my stock fan is three inches lower than the shroud... another reason in favor of the swap. Are electric fan kits all they're hyped up to be? Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

There's been a lot of this subject. Try a search and see if it will answer your question.
    BobK just did a great electric upgrade, very nice fabrication job, and he could probably tell you how it's doing for him right now.

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You should move your rediator up to match the body lift so you get the max cooling from your clutch fan. As far as the electric, Im gonna run one when I put the BBC in.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The electric fan would be better in cold weather becouse it won't be blowing any cold air onto the motor or through the rad.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The radiator actually needs to be dropped by the amount of the body lift, to bring it back down to line up with the engine fan. This takes a bit of fabrication on a GM truck due to the way the radiator is mounted to the core support. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have an IROC fan mounted in its' shroud with a 4 row radiator in front of a 406............personally love it. Tested it well in the heat recently..........stuck in traffic for almost an hour in 97 degree heat and it never really moved.

It would be better in the winter too as it won't push cold air onto the motor.

Plus you can put a switch in to shut if off if you are a 'submariner' style wheeler...........lol.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</A>

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I had it backwards!

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hell, in -40deg, you probably don't need a fan!!!

Seriously, an electric setup would probably be great for you. No engine-driven fan to blow what little heat is in the motor/radiator around when you're trying to get it warmed up. Put the fan(s) on a thermoswitch, and you'll never have to worry about it!
    BTW, is that -40deg ambient temp or windchill? Just curious...

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

9. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

I had both on my 75. In 100+ weather after my accident the mech fan was hitting my upper rad hose so I used elec tape to tape the hose back a little. The only thing left on the hose was the inner rubber and it never even bulged. That thing ran very cool. Are you having problems right now? If your not I wouldnt even bother but if you are running warm on the trail run both, unless you are racing you truck and need the couple of hp it takes to turn it.

One totaled 75 GMC Jimmy, 51 M-38 Willys, 74 Chevy 1/2 ton

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just FYI. I am running two of the Perma Cool 14" electrics (#19114) with the painless wiring kit w/relay, wires, and 185*on/170*off (that kit is #30103). I have them mounted to a 3 core radiator, (should have went 4, oh well). Anyways you do notice a little power adn mileage increase and they seem to hold the temp down pretty good. They pull up to from 2100-2950cfm EACH. The only problem I had is when I was towing and up the hills it started getting a little warm towards the top, and I had put my clutch fan back on for the trip also. BUT, keep in mind I havent had the chance to have my buddy fab up a shroud yet, so I am NOT rinning a shroud right now. After talking to 'kpanza' and others, I am 99% sure that I will have no cooling problems whatsoever once the shroud is made and put on. The shroud is supposed to make all the difference in the world. Even without the shroud I dont have any problems as far as daily driving goes.
    I was up at Chris' (FRIZZLEFRY) house last weekend and he is alos running electric setup without the stock fan. Except he is running a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic fan (single fan). He says that he hasnt had any problems while wheelin of driving it daily. The difference between his and mine is that his has a shroud. I think the shroud is the key no matter what set up you run. We both agree that for long trips or wheelin' its a good idea to at least take your stock fan with you just incase you might have to throw it on.
    Wish I would have thought of it of found this site before I did it and I would have tried the set up that 'BlazzinOR' is running. I'v heard of a couple people running that set up with no problems, much cheaper too! Oh and a bit of advice, if you do go the electric set up, make sure you put the temp sending unit into the head. I couldnt put it into the intake cause of the other crap thats factory is taking up all those spots. Dont try t-ing it off or in the waterpump, cause it isnt accurate to the gauge for sh*t. That was my experience anyways. I'll be done, that's enough rambling for one morning! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 07/13/01 06:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>