Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fan ..yea or nay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Jul 26, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I was just browsing thru a catalog, and they have a TBI spacer that *claims to add 22HP and ~25 ft.lbs of torque. Its $65.00, and am curious if anyone has added a gem similiar to this...or if its a bunch of hooey. I was also lookin at a dual 27" electric fan set up, that 'guarantees' to add 25 HP ($350) for a 5.0 (huh, my 305!) I know its been brought up, going electric fans...but don't recall any real praise or bad mouthin'. Live in san diego, and dunno if electric would be wise for desert trails. Thanks for the input!

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: TBI spacer, yea or nay?

look on ebay, I got my tbi spacer and injector spacer off there for less then that price.

how are two 27" fans gonna fit on your radiator? they are probably using a ford 5.0 for the test.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think TurboCity sells the spacers. I have "heard" they do work. The stock TBI flows something like 440CFM. the spacer allows it to pull air from both bores and helps with the velocity. I'll probably try one someday.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't buy 25HP at all. That just seems like a wildly outrageous guesstimate.

A stock clutch fan "costs" almost no power when the engine is running cool, so an electric couldn't net you 25HP all the time...you still have the extra drag off the alternator when its on.

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

correction, sorry for the misleading info, its a dual fan...both 13.5"..not advertising, but here it is:
    flex-a-lite

The ad was in 4wheel/offroad that claimed the 25 HP gain...the website doesn't. The other fans they show claim 17 ponies.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TBI spacer

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the TBI spacer that goes between the throttle body and the intake manifold? Or the injector pod spacer that lifts the injector pod up a bit from the throttle body?
    The inj. pod spacer WILL reduce intake restriction. Enough to give a 20-25hp boost? I dunno...
    The TBI spacers are a whole different matter. I have read here at CK5, and at other sites, and in magazines, and been told by friends and acquaintances, so much contradictory info and experiences that it's nearly impossible to give a "good" answer. Seems like it's almost a crapshoot whether it'll work in your application or not...

7. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A stock clutch fan "costs" almost no power when the engine is running cool, so an electric couldn't net you 25HP all the time...you still have the extra drag off the alternator when its on.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had my 93 Blazer I went dual electric fans for a short while. I noticed an unexpected amount of gained power from this swap. The throttle was more responsive and more low end torque. I've tried things here and there to gain a little motor performance and replacing the stock fan made a noticable difference in my application. Even with the extra alternator current requited I still noticed a gain in motor performance. Due to this I strongly suggest electric fans over mechanical. Secondly you can rig a switch to turn them on if extra cooling is needed. Say your motor is at a good operating temp but your tranny is hot from wheeling / towing. If you have a tranny cooler mounted in front of your radiator you can leave that fan on to try and cool the tranny down at an excelerated rate.

So, I feel it give's noticable power gains and gives you more flexability when operating your vehicle.

Cons: If you like deep water or mud and you forget to turn off your electric fans you will brake something. I have broke fan blades and consequently broke radiator veins from forgetting to turn electric fans off when going into water / mud. In this situation mechanical are more durable, i've never had a problem with my mechanical and that is what I'm currently running.

so, there is my $.02. Do what you will with it.

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I switched to dual electric fans to keep my Crate motor cool in the Southern California Desert when I lived out there. Up to you what you want to run, I have like a 100 bucks in my fans and that includes an automatic relay with a swwitched override to cut them off or on when I want. Not sure about power gains but I have the peace of mind with them on my truck and don't have to stop and wait to cool off while on the trail

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    correction, sorry for the misleading info, its a dual fan...both 13.5"..not advertising, but here it is:
    flex-a-lite

The ad was in 4wheel/offroad that claimed the 25 HP gain...the website doesn't. The other fans they show claim 17 ponies.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have that flexalite fan setup part # 295. I would definantly recommend them if you are having overheating problems and you have a working A/C. I just got them about 1 month ago and am impressed on how much air they pull, they cut my temps down by 10 degrees or so under normal load conditions and twice that in warm weather in stop and go or heavy pulling. They also pulled my A/C temps down 10-15* or so and that initself was worth the $400. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They aren't as easy to install as they say IMHO, it takes some figuring out on which brackets to use supplied in the kit and if you don't understand simple electrical work well and are not to sure on finding wires under the dash then it would be wise to get someone to help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I do not buy the HP gains nor do I care for electric fans. Only way I would install an electric fan set up is if I made brackets to mount it to. I would never use the ties that go through the radiator. They can damage your radiator because of the movement due to flex, lose ties etc.

I would either use a clutch fan set-up or a Flex-a-lite fan. I currently use a Flex-a-lite fan and it pulls a lot of air and keeps things very cool especially at low speeds where you need it most. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I do not buy the HP gains nor do I care for electric fans. Only way I would install an electric fan set up is if I made brackets to mount it to. I would never use the ties that go through the radiator. They can damage your radiator because of the movement due to flex, lose ties etc.

I would either use a clutch fan set-up or a Flex-a-lite fan. I currently use a Flex-a-lite fan and it pulls a lot of air and keeps things very cool especially at low speeds where you need it most. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The larger dual fan setups that come with a built in shroud mount to the radiator support at both the top and bottom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am not a fan of the dinky single electric fans that go through the core either, too light duty. The dual flexalite fans pull way more air than the stock fans.

12. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have that flexalite fan setup part # 295. I would definantly recommend them if you are having overheating problems and you have a working A/C. I just got them about 1 month ago and am impressed on how much air they pull, they cut my temps down by 10 degrees or so under normal load conditions and twice that in warm weather in stop and go or heavy pulling. They also pulled my A/C temps down 10-15* or so and that initself was worth the $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifThat set up cost you $400?

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Last i looked into getting the 295, it was $356.00 or so...maybe that was the 297?(same part, more electrical connectors i think??) It doesnt mount to the core itself, like some of the cheap a$$ ones, built in shroud etc.

TBI spacer: Yeah the one that goes <under> the TBI, <on> the intake, its a 1" spacer made from aluminum. If and thats a big IF I got 22 HP gain from it, seems like a worthwhile investment for $65 and takes 20 mins to install...heck, if I got 1/2 that seems fairly inexpensive. Yeah, they've advertised those crap wind tunnel thingys that go above the TBI...crap! it just spins the air around a lil, whooptie dooo.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have that flexalite fan setup part # 295. I would definantly recommend them if you are having overheating problems and you have a working A/C. I just got them about 1 month ago and am impressed on how much air they pull, they cut my temps down by 10 degrees or so under normal load conditions and twice that in warm weather in stop and go or heavy pulling. They also pulled my A/C temps down 10-15* or so and that initself was worth the $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifThat set up cost you $400?

[/ QUOTE ]
    By the time Summit Racing charged me for shipping( the handling fee is just shipping in disguise so they can advertise as free shipping /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) It was $378 or something....basically $400. Whats the big deal? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif You get what you pay for, if you saw the quality, and how HD these fans are along with everything that comes with them you would understand why they cost $378.

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks for the info.

16. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

bobby,

Thank you! I did not realize that the larger fans came with brackets. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    bobby,

Thank you! I did not realize that the larger fans came with brackets. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, there are enough different brackets in there that you should be able to come up with something. i actually cut 2 of the brackets and modified them for what I wanted to do. The kit is a COMPLETE kit, I mean down to the electrical connectors, everything is there that you will need. I actually thought that $378 wasn't bad since the adjustable thermostat, A/C relay, brackets, shroud, and all the wiring was already there ready for installation. Most fans you see for $100 or so don't include a darn thing except the fan itelf. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

the flexalite is the one i've been eyeballin since i got my blazer, and looking at the stats of #295 and a factory clutch type fan, it pulls more air! I saw the POS fans at the local part store, but doesn't compare. Thanks bobby, i think I may be adding one next month when i get back from playing with M1A1 tanks! I was debating on gettin a lift and tires, but i'd rather make her run better and cooler!

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Where did you see specs of the stock clutch fan? Stock fan CFM is an elusive number to find.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    the flexalite is the one i've been eyeballin since i got my blazer, and looking at the stats of #295 and a factory clutch type fan, it pulls more air! I saw the POS fans at the local part store, but doesn't compare. Thanks bobby, i think I may be adding one next month when i get back from playing with M1A1 tanks! I was debating on gettin a lift and tires, but i'd rather make her run better and cooler!

[/ QUOTE ]Good choice! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif