Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Does it matter if I go with an expensive name brand one, or can it be a $10 ebay one? And is bigger better? Thanks

2. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Kyle , go to the bone yard and get a ford taurus 2speed electric fan . I got 3 of them at the local u-pull-it for $15 each . They move alot of air and are easy to wire up . they move more air than my buddies high dollar electric fan ($250) .

3. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I bought a perma cool 16 inch fan, And it moves 2700 cfm. Cost about $110 and works wonderfuly.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I grabbed a fan from a 3.8 Buick, and a fan from a small 4 cylinder Chevy Nova. The two fit over the rad side by side perfectly. Buick fan covers from top to bottom, and just over half the rad from side to side. I put it on the driver's side where the hot coolant from the engine is entering the rad. The Nova fan sits on the pass side, but doesn't cover from top to bottom. Again, I put it at the top cause heat rises. It left about 6" of rad exposed at the bottom. Both fans have a built in shroud, which helps a ton with making sure that the fans are only moving air through the rad, and not from inside the engine compartment.

The big 3.8 fan seems to move just as much air as the old mechanical fan used to, you can actually feel a bit of a breeze infront of the truck's grill cause it is sucking so much air through the rad, and it easily blows paper and stuff sitting on the engine out of the engine compartment. The little fan doesn't seem to do nearly as much, but it is only set to run when the engine gets up to about 230 or so through a temp switch in the pass side head of the engine.

Both fans are controlled by relays, and both are wired up to a switch I have beside my brake controller so I can turn them on manually if my ECM isn't working properly, or if I see the temp climbing for some reason.

If I ever find one of those 3.8 two speed Taurus fans, I'll buy and install it. Apparantly they fit the Chevy rad perfectly :) I'll set the main fan to be controlled by the ECM, second fan to be controlled by a temp sensor in the rad fins, and the high speed setting on both set to the temp switch in the pass side head.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The Ferd Winstar dual fan setup from the bone yard is also a great fit.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am running a ford taurus 2 speed fan. I am only going to use it on the high setting.
    One word of warning though is they draw about 70 amp at start up so normal 30 amp relays will get fried quick. So if you do run them just make sure you have nice heavy guage wire(10g) and all of the wiring components rated for over 70 amps.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

buddy of mine did the z-28 upgrade on his 98 blazer 4 door....
    and lets say after his first run out.. we had to re-wire it due to the control module got wet.. not sure why... :haha: oh yeah $90 for a new control unit.. :doah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was before we went.. sittin at wawa gettin fueled up!!!!
    6" susp lift, 2" body and 34" ssr's

[​IMG]

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ha you said WAWA :D

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The ford fans do work real good. They move more air than most all aftermarket fans. But as said they pull a lot of amps. Check the amp rating of the fan you buy and make sure your system is up to it.
    I think stock alternators put out around 70-90 amps depending on what year truck you have. Throwing in a 75 amp fan does not leave much power for other high power drains like lights, heater/AC, or stereo amp. If you are going to run a Taraus, Lincoln MKIII, or Areostar fan. You may need an alternator upgrade.
    Most of the aftermarket fans like Flexalite, Permacool ect pull a lot less amps usually between 20-30A and work fine with a stock alternator.

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The Taurus fans pull 70 amps ONLY on start up, once started they run a average 30 amps. Its just the high start up amps that kill most relays.