Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fan?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Apr 22, 2006.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

What are the realistic gains from replacing the stock mechanical radiator fan with an electric one?

I have no overheating problems, despite the extreme temperatures out here, and I also have dual electric fans in front of the rad controlled manually from a switch in the cab, so it's purely HP gains I'm looking for. I run a 1983 350 Jimmy.

Any tips on moving to an electric main fan?

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

well from what you are saying you have dual electric fans in front of the radiator i am guessing that "push air over it since they would be facing the radiator. now you are contemplating replacing the main clutch fan with another setup ?.... why excately just for more power i guess if you added more fans you get more air but i dont thin k it will help much since you already have 2 imho

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Without the electric fans installed, just using the stock clutch fan setup, did you have any overheating problems?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Similar sentiment. If the stock clutch fan is doing the job, ditch the electrics. If you want to try electric only, pull the clutch fan off and see if they will do as good of a job.

The only power numbers I've seen for a clutch fan are -5HP but I suspect that is with the clutch "unlocked".

The stock fan doesn't draw nearly enough power to notice in a normal vehicle. If you measure time in the 1/4 mile, or strap it to a dyno, perhaps, but for most (here) electric fans are used so they can be shut off in deep water fording.

5. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

I just pulled off the twin fans from my 78 truck, and went back to belt driven. The elec fans couldnt keep up when towing, or going up a big grade. Freeways, slow moving traffic, crawling, and daily driving they worked great, and I did feel a bit of an improvement in the power. If you're just looking for HP gains, the elect fans "may" help, but just dont do heavy towing with them.....Anyone want to buy some elec fans??? (J/ K)

6. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Good posts, thanks.

The electric fans up front only go on when I need to kick down the temperature, usually when working through deep sand at low speeds for a while. Without them the temperature does keep climbing, but we're talking temperature extremes.

With my current set-up I don't need extra cooling or more fans, I was just thinking of a power gain. Turns out a +/- 5HP gain doesn't warrant a change over to electric.

If it were 20HP, I'd consider it.

Thanks guys!

7. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

You might gain 10 or 15 hp but it will be at very high rpm where you will barely need it or notice it.