Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fan...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, May 12, 2000.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i know this subject has come up before, i just cant remember what the general feeling was about efficency. i pulled a 16" fan off a bonneville from the local bone yard. i bought a hayden relay/thermo switch from pepboys to control it. will this be enough to cool my truck?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

From my recent experience(just bought a 16" fan from Auto Zone) NO. of course I think I do have a few small problems with my cooling system, but I am running the 16" elec fan in front of the radiator as a pusher and a flex fan as a puller. Usually with just the flex fan I over heat or close to it, but with both fans it kept me running about 210 degrees.
    So if your cooling system is already working really good, then you may be ok.
    My rad. is tiny, I will be swapping in a diesel one when I get a chance, so I will keep you up to date.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 16" set up as a puller fan on mine and have no problems here in central Ca in the middle of summer.

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I run dual 13" fans in a custom shroud and it cools great. The temp it runs at is determined by what temp range switch you have. Mine is a 210 on and 195 off. I love them.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Redline Water Wetter!! I keep recommending it; it works! Buy it at Pep Girls and other such places. Search posts for "water wetter" for further info.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

Am I the only one that thinks that this is a bad idea? Yes, it will save you a little HP and gas mileage, but engine driven fans are simple and reliable, noting to wear out, no wiring/fuses to snag or fry, and they work. A good OEM clutch style fan will only draw a few hp, but always be there when you need it. Add to that if something does go flying through your radiator, you can pull it in a few minutes using a socket, wrench and a screwdriver, where the electric fan will add to the job.

I’m a big fan of simple and reliable when I’m in the middle of nowhere…

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

If I could have kept the engin driven fan I would have, But its gone, I tried on big 19 inch, over heated the that with 2 12 inch one in front of the a/c condeser it still over heated, put a oil cooler on the motor oil that helped but on the hot days off road it still would over heat! tried the ater weter it helped till it all boiled over on the trail one day. I then tried the Flex-a-lite dual 12inch fans with there mounteing shrould that even has a rubber cusion around it edge for a good seal to the radiator. the fan pull from the entire radiator and cool it much better. No the 2 on the condenser only come on with the A/C

I still wish that I had the old engine driven fan!!! It worked!!!

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the second good thing about electrics is the ability to shut them off for water crossings or deep mud holes. I have had too many wierd noises coming from the fan while in the middle of a mud hole where I was totally expecting to see the engine driven fan chew its way thru the rad, hood etc.
    Guess its all a matter of preference but I sure like mine

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

9. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

thanx guys, for all your input in this area. the diversity of this web site is certainly its strength. i have always been a firm believer in "if it aint broke dont fix it", but if i stuck to that my truck would still be red and white with a roof.

thanks again!

10. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

TRue your thinking is correct. But in a deep mud or water crossing. I have swtich i hit to bypass it so i do not swamp or suck cold water into and onto a hot engine. I have a black magic 16" fan producing 2600 cfm of air. It enough blow dry your hair just standing by it when it is on

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

11. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

Wow, I’m surprised that fan is working on a big block doing some four wheeling. My brother is running one on his drag car (well, street car that gets drag raced about once a week) which as a ford 302 in it, and on hot days it’s defiantly borderline, even with a good radiator. I’m thinking that you’ve probably got more hp and Chevy big blocks can run hot anyway, plus, his car spends a lot of time really moving, while off road you can spend some time going pretty slow, so you don’t get any help moving the air from the vehicle speed.

Mark