Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RedneckK5, Mar 3, 2004.

1. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

i want to install an eletric fan on my 79. how many cfm do i need. it has a 400sbc

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I am running 2950cfm on my rig. But I've read some people run Freestar fans.
    Bill

3. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

what is a freestar fan and does yours run ok with the 2950. also what kind of fan is it and where can i get one

4. Tweetysuarus

Freestar mini van fan. Mine is Perma Cool from JEG's
    771-19114 14” $83.99
    Bill

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aren't they "Windstar" fans?

FWIW I hooked up both of my electric LT/LS1 electric fans the other day while they were just laying on top of the engine...standing on the passenger side of the truck, with the hood up (so the largest opening for moving air was forward, not towards me) there was enough velocity to make my shirt wave like a flag. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was pretty happy to see that, I don't think I'll be disappointed in the electric fan upgrade.

I've got a hokey little weather station that is supposed to measure the MPH of wind, wonder what that will read with the fans on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

90's ford tauras and mercury sable's with the 3 wire fan will hover themselves off the ground when you wire them up to test them

7. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I've got two of the same fans (771-19114) as Tweetysuarus. I also have an SBC400 and trust me, you'll need all the cooling you can get. I installed a huge 4 row radiator and the two fans... it also helps to remove the inner fenders.

8. Tweetysuarus

Dang! Your running two of those! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif my rig runs out at 210* during the summer months with 193* thermostat! If I run a 160* during the summer it drops around 180*-190*.
    Bill

9. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

do you have a shroud? I don't, though i wish i did. Keep in mind i'm in Texas too... also that my truck only runs on the trail and most of that is idling or a lot of throttle with no movement for airflow. The sbc400 is known for running hot by the way.

With these fans, i can stay around 190-210 on the trail.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm in the same situation with my 400SB, I have the mechanical fan and a new 3 core. My shroud is cut up because of my 3" body lift. I'm thinking of getting 2 of those 2950 perma cools myself hoping it will keep it cool. I don't know if my 3 core is enough though plus I have A/C. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I had A/C, until a wild bug got up my arse and I started ripping it all out. it was a bit odd watching the R134 come spewing out of a fully charged system (the previous owner had it converted). I haven't pulled the condensor out from in front of the radiator yet, so hopefully that will do even more to help. Of course, then there's the oil cooler and the honking huge tranny cooler i've got in front of that...