Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fans and MUD??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, May 31, 2002.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am running 2 electric fans I pulled out of an dodge mini van. They work great, but when I get muddy, really muddy, they start acting up. They would start to squeal really bad so I had been spraying them with gum out while they were running and then WD40 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Probably not the best idea in the world but it was working. Well one of them took a crap, so I was going to get another one from the bone yard, but I am curious what you guys are doing to alieviate this problem. Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd bet the simplest thing is to wire in a fan "kill" switch. I don't typically like adding things like this, but in a case like this, it sounds kinda necessary. Do you have them setup so they are temperature governed or are they on all the time. Might be another option if they are on all the time....

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I planned to set them up temperature controled but never bought the relay, so they go on with the ignition. I thought about running a switch to them and shutting them off before I go into the mud, but I am figuring that mud will still get into them, and be there when I turn them on anyways. Any thoughts or ideas are apprieciated. Thanks guys.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you running "pushers" on the outside of the radiator or pullers on the "inside"? If pushers, can you re-locate them inside the radiator? Some fans can be done either way. If already on the inside , you might want to fashion a perforated aluminum bug screen like on the J**ps. It may hurt cooling a bit but will keep the big chunks off the radiator and fan.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The only way I could get electric fans to work in the mud was to take them off and put the mechanical fan back on. Mine were set on a thermostat and would build up super huge mud chunks then when they would click on they would be so far off balance it damaged the radiator. I mounted the fan under the stock fan shroud and it helped a little I think it would have worked better if I could have mounted the fan under the stock shroud then screened the opening off somehow..but I gave up.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Curious, you mention fan shroud....did you use the inner fender "skirts"? I don't know how much mud you guys are slinging, but I know without the inner skirts, my engine compartment is pretty well covered in mud even after mild wheeling. I'd have to attribute *that* to missing fender skirts, and if your vehicles don't have them, and if the fans are behind the radiator already (engine side, not bumper side) then perhaps that would help??

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

yeah I was pondering the same thought, I dont have the "fender skirts" anymore. I think I will make some up and see if they help out. Like you said even with some mild mud, my engine compartment is covered. I think they might help out. Thanks Any more ideas please let me know. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Wire a piece of metal window screen behind the fans. I have one between the grill and the radiator to keep the bugs out. I don't think it changes the air flow till it gets full of bugs. If you tie it down behind the fans air should still flow through it till it gets clogged with mud. Then shake it and the mud should fall off. It's worth a try at least.