Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fans what are you using

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by opfor2, Mar 23, 2003.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about replacing my flex fan with an electric fan and I was wondering what you guys were using in your rigs. Is there a custom made fan that will directly fit in my Blazer w/out too much work ?

Thanks

Dan...

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Yes, but it isn't cheap. Permacool makes a bolt-in dual 14" electric fan kit and I believe it comes with everything you need. Jegs and Summit sell them for $600. Perma cool also sells individual fans as well as all the relays, wiring kits, etc. which is much cheaper (about $250-$300 for everything) but requires a little more cutting and fitting. If your thinking of putting in electric fans to gain hp or gasmileage, you're wasting your time. I was thinking about putting in one in the distant future just because it allows much easier access to the front of the engine and accessories.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Something else you might want to look at.
    I did a conversion to dual electric fans on my 71 ElCamino which has basically the same radiator as in my Blazer. I used an 80's vintage F*rd Winstar setup. It was virtually a direct bolt in and they pull around 5000 CFM. Got it for $125 out of the local junk yard. You can also use the Lincoln Mark-V (or is it Mk-VIII ?) single fan which also pulls about 5K CFM. This is a popular swap on Chevelles.

Some pics of my fan setup on this page:
    http://home1.gte.net/res096qi/71Elky.htm

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I have one out of a Celebrity or Cutlass Cierra from the late eighties/early nineties. It does great in 50° but I don't know about 90° weather with the air conditioning. Only time will tell I suppose.

I used all the mounts that the shroud used to use.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/electricfan/

At the same time I did my "cold air intake" so I never did much documentation or pictures.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This has been a hot topic on PBB in the last couple of months. General opinion came down that, for the money, you can't beat the Taurus/Sable 3.6L 2-speed fans. Slightly better (quiter I think is the only thing) is the Mark VIII fan. The Mark also has a square shroud that would probably fit better. There are also the late model GM fans (like LeSabre) with dual fans, I kinda like that for the redundancy. But they don't seem to flow near as much from what I can find...

I wouldn't use an aftermarket fan, the OEM fans almost always flow more (except for VERY high $$$ after markets), are more dependable, and cheaper too...

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Get to a junk yard, and find one of the MANY taurus's or Sable's that are out there, look for late 80's early 90s. They have GREAT 2 speed fans in them. To make things a little easier, I took some of the harness and the disconnect. I would also recommend firing the fans with a set of relays. I only use the HI-SPEED on the 2 fans I have in my truck... I used a remote Ford starter relay to switch on the fans with a thermal switch you can get from any parts store. BEWARE, if you use TWO of these fans you will probably have to upgrage your alternator like I had to. Stick with one fan, one relay, one HD switch to power the (one) thermal switch, and you should be good to go for less than $100.

Let me know if you need any help getting this working, I'd be glad to help out! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

7. KRAZIE87K5

[​IMG]

Maybe this will help too... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a pair of twin electric fans from a late 80s Thunderbird SE turbo coupe. I had to make some brackets but that was easy. Each fan is controlled seperatly by my ECM

[​IMG]

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BEWARE, if you use TWO of these fans you will probably have to upgrage your alternator like I had to. Stick with one fan, one relay, one HD switch to power the (one) thermal switch, and you should be good to go for less than $100.
    I have a dual battery setup and a 105 amp alternator. Would that be good enough for a two fan setup. I was thinking at using one for engine cooling, and having the second turn on only with the AC. How did you mount the taurus dual-fans. Did you make brackets, or use those zip tie things that push through the radiator? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IIRC, each of those fans pulls about 30 amps constant, and peaks up to 50+ at startup (make sure your relays can handle it, and double check to make sure that’s right). So, just add up what you need. Figure in your highest constant amp draw possible, add some for a margin of safety, and make sure to consider that alternators are usually rated above idle... All in all, if you expect both fans to run more than a short time, I think your probably going to need a high amp alternator or duals...

11. KRAZIE87K5

Like always, the baddog is right on. The fans pull 30 amps once running, and *about* 50-60amps upon startup. I fire both fans togehter from a dead stop to the higher of their two speeds. My 180amp alternator quivers and creaks... but it holds steady. I really need to get into dual batteries to keep the headlights from dimming while the fans are still getting to speed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Does that help? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

12. 88Silverado

What I like about the Winstar fans is they do not protrude very deep into the engine compartment. Heres a pic of them on my Elky. [​IMG] Im sure the similar desing Sable or Taurus will work well too. The Mk-VIII fan is Really Loud.

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

geez, now I have to rethink my whole design..

I had planned on using the duel ford fans, but I had planned on simply having a switch to run them or wire it so that they runn when ever the truck is running. I live in Az and even on Christmas I can wash a car in shorts so I strongly feel that running them all the time shouldn't be an issue and with the swich I can bypass it to turn them off if need be.

Here is my application...

75 blazer, 396 bb with a 400 tranny I have an optima red top and a 4 core radiater and an old stock alternater.

I would like to run duels as I don't think my stock fan will do much for me and I can get the fans for less than 40 bucks.

What do you guys recomend? I also will consider getting another battery and run the duel set up. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Two 14" perma-Cools with a home made aluminium shroud
    [​IMG]

15. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Two 14" perma-Cools with a home made aluminium shroud

Dude this is sweet!! How much time and $ did it take and can you make another?

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Thanks,ya...I suppose I could make another.
    It took me about a week,on and off.
    The 2 fans were from Summit,part # PRM-19114-P3P.$83.95 each.They are rated at 2100-2950 CFM.
    The aluminium cost me about $10.00 from my local hardware store.
    I used a Painless Wiring kit to wire it up-$59.95,Summit number PRF-30102.
    Added one more 30 amp relay,about $3.00 from a local electronics shop.
    Two 30 amp self resetting circiut breakers,same local electronics shop,about $3.00 each.
    And finally some quality 10gauge wire(black+red) for grounds(black) and power(red).
    So what's that...about $243.00 just for the parts.

You just can't stick electric fans in and expect them to work properly and/or safely.Things must be wired correctly with the proper safe gaurds(breakers,relays,etc).electric fans draw alot of amps and if not done correctly can lead to a electrical fire(those are not fun!).

17. 88Silverado

Usually you can do a simple alternator upgrade/swap to a higher output to compensate for the additional load. I have my fans connected to a thermal switch in the block which kicks them in at 205 and out at 185. I also have them connected into the air-conditioning switch so they come on when the compressor is engaged. Most of the time, while driving, the fans are off cuz the airflow thru the radiator is sufficient to keep the temp down. slow traffic driving is a different story.
    Now, there have been instantances where some people actually see higher temps when running on the freeways due to some back pressure caused by the fan shrouds. I have not encountered this problem myself but some on other boards have. Thru most of the fan evaluations I have seen, the best for cooling and minimum horsepower loss seems to be the factory clutch fan setup.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I used two fans from the local junkyard and fabbed a shroud out of sheetmetal. I made the wiring harnesses myself, with each fan on it's own relay. I set it up "temporarily" with an adjustable thermostat I salved from my old hot water heater before I threw it out. However, it has worked well and is as good or better than the switches that Autozone sells for this, so it is still in there. Total cost was around $60 and 1 day's time.

19. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A great single fan that is two speeds is the 1990 ford t-bird supercoupe fan. You have to run circut breakers, since that big fan pulls alot more than 30 amps to get going. I have no problems with it in my firebird, even in the middle of the summer.

Dan

20. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well looks like you can come to aid when I do it Dan, say a few beers and bottle of patience should do it? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif