Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Aug 30, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

would fans from a 3rd gen F-body fit and work well on a K-5. I am thinking of picking up a dual fan setup from a 87 z28. Do these fans flow enough to cool a 350 in a k-5

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got LS/LT1 fans in my truck, they keep the engine cool no problem. Not thirdgen I know, but similar application

Unless you've got some laying around, it sounds like the Ford Windstar fans are a better option. Writeup in the tech section.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

you know what, they probably will. I had a 91 z28 TPI with a 350 in it. One of my fans didnt work the whole time I had the car and it never once even got close to overheating. Although I never had the car in over 100 degree weather but I did have it in a little hotter than 90 degrees with the a/c running sitting in traffic and I never had a problem. You could always try it, I know some people use the ford aerostar fans in their trucks with good luck. One thing is those 3rd gens are everwhere in the junk yards around where I live. I could pull parts for days for my car. I dont know how well the fans will fit or wire in but I would be curious to see how yours goes. :D

4. 1979jimmy350

I was thinking this because i found a a set of fans for realy chaep and i am going to be converting to TPI any ways so i could wire them in to the computer to contral them

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

That would be really nice because one fan is constantly on and the other is controlled by the thermostat. It would be a really trick setup.

6. dyeager535

Just as an FYI, TPI setups in the early years with dual fans (at least pre 1990) control one fan with the ECM, and one with the temp switch in the fan.

To my knowledge GM has never run an electric fan constantly as the primary source of engine cooling.

220* is the ECM commanded on temp for '87-89 F-body primary fan, 240* is the temp for the secondary. Of course AC usage and vehicle speed has an effect in all/some setups.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, all of the GM electric fan setups that I've seen on cars control the first fan via the ECM. The temp at which it switches on can be changed via programming. The ECM will also switch on that fan when the A/C Request signal is ON, to keep air flowing over the condensor constantly.

The 2nd fan is swiched on via a fixed value thermostat that's screwed into one of the heads. There are aftermarket thermostats available for these to change the temp at which the 2nd fan switches on.

Not all cars will have the 2nd fan though. According to my '87 Corvette service manual, the 2nd fan was part of a heavy duty cooling option. But I don't think I've ever seen a CamaBird with a V8 and only 1 fan.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look around on ebay. I've seen brand new Ford Windstar dual fan setups, with the housing and everything, for around $110. Autozone also lists the complete assembly, made by Siemens, for $169. The upfront cost is a bit higher than the junkyard route, but the new ones should last much longer than some old ones.

9. 1979jimmy350

I am wondering more about physical size and fitting in a K-5. The computer end of it will be no problem i plan on running a promanitor any ways so i can set when the fan turns on and off

10. dyeager535

Physical size, the Windstar fans are almost a perfect fit to the "tall" truck radiators from the pictures and comments I've heard.

The Lx1 fans are made for a shorter radiator, (I'd suspect 3rd gens to be the same) although the width is pretty much right on. I've got a decent gap below my fans where the shroud ends and the radiator keeps going. More than likely due to the hood lines of the f-bodies.

In my case it works fine, but I have not been in 100* weather yet, and I don't have much that will increase the heat demands on the cooling system. Mild 355, no AC, manual trans, fairly light at 5000lbs. If I had AC and spent a lot of time in a hot climate, not moving fast, I'd look towards the windstar fans as a safer bet to offer good cooling.

Any electric fans can be wired up with the ECM controlling them, but I believe the Windstars have one fan that is high/low, and another that is at a fixed speed. I'd not spend time making the low work, I'd have the primary as high, and the secondary as low. Simplified wiring, and all the cooling. The ECM's also control the minimum on time of the fan, so whether it works on a high setting or low setting, the fan on time at a minimum will be the same. But you might as well cool it down faster.

Only benefit to running the low speed as primary is that demand from the charging system will be less, and you could get by with a smaller alternator more than likely. My 78 amp alternator handles the dual fans fine, but were it not for fuel injection forcing the idle at a set RPM, when the fan(s) kicked on, I'd have some serious idle problems. The load they put on the engine is incredible. They would actually stall the engine when they were coming on with ignition power. (part of the limp mode when my MAF was dead)

Even if you can get the 3rdgen fans cheap, if they end up in the end being inadequate, they still cost you money that you didn't need to spend. Not saying they won't work, just depends on your setup/application/location. You can never have too much cooling, only too little.