Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, Sep 5, 2001.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

I read in a 101 tips article somwheres that installing electric fans instead of the clutch fan, would free you up some power- they claimed 12horse/15ft-lbs on a 'Burb. Anyone done this? What makes a good donor? and what is the best way to wire them? I would like to avoid a toggle switch.

'89 Jimmy SLE 350/700, sadly 2 close to stock, much lighter thanx to salted winter roads!

2. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

Good donor vehicles are the TPI model Camaros and GTAs. These run dual electric fans. I'd wire the fans to the ignition and have a switch inserted into system to allow for fan cut off, if needed.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with tlarsw.. i would also run it on a toggle sitch. You can leave it on and have it turn off with the ignition, but then you can also shut it off in case you go into a water crossing.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I have two black magic fans on my K5 with a 34" core rad. Both fans are controlled via seperate temp switches. Switch number one grounds a relay and turns the fan on at 180*. Fan number two turns on at 200*. I also have a DPDT toggle switch in the truck that allows me to select manual on, manual off or auto mode. If you run two fans be sure to isolate the air flow for each fan so that they work at maximum efficiency. As staed in an early response Camaros do make good donor vehicles. This is especially true if you are running a SBC as the blazer has better airflow than the camaro and the electric fans work on the car.

5. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Do you have a wiring diagram for the setup you mentioned?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I don't have a wiring diagram but I can walk you through it.

Wire the fans using relays that pull power directly from the battery. Wire the output of the relay to the fans. Provide a good ground for each fan . I used screw in temp sensors (from summit racing) These sensors work by grounding the single input wire. The sensors should ideally be placed very near the thermostat housing. Use a Double Pole Double throw (DPDT) switch with a center off position. There will be six terminals on the back of the switch. Call one side "A" and the other side "B". The center terminal of side "A" and side "B" gets wired to the ground terminal of the relay. (this will activate the fans) When this point is grounded the fans will run. Now if you take the top (or bottom) terminal of side "A" and "B" of the switch and wire it directly to ground. This will give you the manual on position. The last terminal of side "A" and "B" get wired to the temperature switch. You can use two temperature switches for different temps or you can use one temp switch. If you use two temp switches, then side "A" goes to one temp switch and side "B" goes to the other temp switch. If you use one temp switch, then jumper the last two terminals on your DPDT switch and run a single wire to the temp switch. This gives you the auto control of the fans. This is much easier than it sounds. If you have an ohm meter you can confirm all the connections prior to applying power and be certain that you do not have any mis wires.

Good luck.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Try this link for a schematic...It should be about what prjt_blzr is describing.
    www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

That would be it!! Much easier to see than describe.