Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dixiepride, Sep 20, 2003.

1. dixiepride

dixiepride Newbie

Is any body using electric fans? I just put 2 on my 79. SHould I have them pushing the air out or pulling it in? Will one way cool better than the other? All replies greatly appreciated

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

They need to pull the air in. (Mounted in the engine compartment, pulling outside air into the engine compartment through the radiator).
    You won't get very good cooling by pushing 200 degree air from inside the engine compartment through the radiator....not to mention, any wind coming through the radiator while driving will (if it doesn't stop the electric fans /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) not allow for air to be pushed out towards it.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A puller fan doesn't blow engine air from under the hood forward. It still pulls outside air, just pulls it backwards instead of, "pushing" it like a pusher fan does.

I am going to use an aux. electric fan for low speed work, but I don't believe it's a good idea to use them as an only source of cooling.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oops, my bad. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I guess I'm still not following though. Are both these style of fans mounted in the engine compartment, or does one go on the outside of the radiator? Sorry for my ignorance /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Puller-inside engine compartment, sucking air from forward
    Pusher-outside engine compartment mounted on front of the radiator, pushing air through it

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks. That's what I figured.

7. dixiepride

dixiepride Newbie

Thanks for the help. I am going dual 14" fans, the stock clutch fan wasn't cutting it so I tried a flex fan but wasn't really impressed so here I am now, Going to get the truck running again after 2 weeks sitting in the driveway collecting hurricane blowby. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

You can also get factory fans like the Ferd Winstar, Mk-VIII and some use Taurus. I have not converted the blazer "yet" to the Winstar but plan to. I did convert my 71 ElCamino cruzer to the winstar and been very happy.

I believe someone here installed a taurus fan inside the existing fan shroud and just turned it on when extra cooling was needed.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

at some point I am thinking of going electric only (radiator out back, after the s-10 body swap). I think for it to work you have to not only have VERY good electric fans (generally pretty $pendy) but also a nice big high quality radiator (them all aluminum ones with 1-1.5" tubes look good). Both of these items are pretty dang spendy... add all the tube work you need to run the coolant back the to rear of your truck and it can be an expensive proposition. If stock fans off a taurus or whatever would work just as well, that'd prolly be the way to go. I'd want some feedback from some peeps that have water temp guages and experience with these different factory fans before I made the dive myself tho...

j

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you have AC or anything else in front of your rad. you will want to use puller fans (with a shroud so that they pull from the whole core). Most trucks do not have room for a shroud in front of the rad.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any time I've ever seen radiators mounted in the rear, they use steel tubing for most of the lines and rubber on the ends. I'm sure that'd help the cost considerably.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what, no aluminum tubing with heat sink fins running the entire length?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe someday when I can weld aluminum I'll make some silly-trick tubing like that for my remote radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j