Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fuel pump....Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Sep 5, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I need to buy an electric fuel pump for a stock 350 w/4 barrel quadrajet. Never have used or thought about using one
    of these ,but the "new" block I just dropped into the 69 k5 does not have the manual fuel pump port.

I just need something that works well and does not need to be super high performance and expensive. Stock manual fuel pumps cost $15, I'm hoping not to spend more than $50 on one. I saw a bunch of Holley fuel pumps on Ebay, but then
    again, I saw alot of Holley's on Ebay for sale(if you get my drift). Good or bad.

What are you using?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go to the parts stores and open up the catalog. There are a number of universal electric fuel pumps that will provide the fuel pressure you need without a regulator and will last a long time. (and also carry a lifetime warranty)

If I had a catalog I'd have some part numbers, but if you open up any Airtex catalog there is a section of universal pumps. Just ensure it will accept 3/8 line, and is a 12 volt pump that will provide 3-5 PSI or so and you're good to go.

Use an oil pressure switch to ensure that it won't run if you leave the key on, also.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to the parts stores and open up the catalog. There are a number of universal electric fuel pumps that will provide the fuel pressure you need without a regulator and will last a long time. (and also carry a lifetime warranty)

If I had a catalog I'd have some part numbers, but if you open up any Airtex catalog there is a section of universal pumps. Just ensure it will accept 3/8 line, and is a 12 volt pump that will provide 3-5 PSI or so and you're good to go.

Use an oil pressure switch to ensure that it won't run if you leave the key on, also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 3-5 psi enough? I was sure it needed to be higher...not sure why i was sure though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Also, I am not sure what you mean by the oil pressure switch...what is that?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 3-5 psi enough? I was sure it needed to be higher...not sure why i was sure though /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Also, I am not sure what you mean by the oil pressure switch...what is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

An oil pressure switch will only close when the engine has oil pressure, therefore, the pump will not run if you turn the key on but do not start the engine.

This is necessary as it is illegal to have a pump tied straight to the key. The reason is hopefully, the engine will die and the fuel will stop flowing.

A mechanical fuel pump automatically shuts off when the engine stops....an electric fuel pump will need the oil pressure switch so when oil pressure drops to zero (when the engine dies) it will shut the pump off, even if the key is on.

It's not 100% necessary, but if you're going to do it, might as well do it right.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks Tim, your always a great help with the technical stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Im in the same boat. I got a 92 350 thats gonna go in the Blazer with out the fuel pump port. I got an electric fuel pump at Napa for something like $37.