Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fuel pump conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 18, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you remember the incident with my gas tank you may know that I am driving around with a hole in it RTVed shut. So basically I have to replace it, I was thinking maybe I could try and locate a TBI fuel tank and use the in tank fuel pump. Would the swap be worthwhile? Only thing I can think is maybe a slight hp gain and slightly cleaner motor.

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

were you planning on using this on a carb? If so I think the pressure from the fuel injection pump may be too high. I could be wrong but I know on one vehicle I took the fuel injection off and put on a carb and could not use the old pump I had to but a new pump as carbs use about 5 psi and most fuel injection is 90-100 psi.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know the pressure at the TBI is like 15. Would need a fuel pressure regulator. I am pretty certain I won't do it, cause the yard I will probably get it at(gives me great deals) doesn't have tbi chevys.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Waste of time IMO.

If you aren't going injection, the extra electrical, pressure, hassle of changing the pump, and cost, just isn't worth it. Especially when the stock mechanical pump should last you many, many years and miles.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pump on there is new too. Thought that might be the problem before but it wasn't, bad carb, timing, and gearing.

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Good advice.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif