Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fuel pump ? mine died :-(

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, Jun 11, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

My fuel pump died this weekend, lucky for me I was only four miles from my father-inlaws farm. He towed me into his shop, wow was that fun with 40 inch tires and no power steering or brakes. My question is, I have a early low pressure tank mounted fuel pump (13-15 psi). Can I leave the old pump in the tank and just run a inline unit, or do I have to remove the old one first?

Thanks in advance?

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Are you trying to get out of dropping the tank? I don't blame you if you are! LOL!

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if you can "pull through" these pumps. It may work as a temporary sol'n, but I wouldn't do it permanantly. Its really not that bad of a job to drop the tanks on these trucks. I just did one in an '88 TransAm, now that thing was a PITA. Had to drop the exhaust from the cat back, and dismantle part of the suspension. Made me wish I was doing the pump in the Blazer.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly I have a full tank of fuel, and I was hoping not to have to siphon it all out. I guess I had better bit the bullet and do it.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

5. muddin4fun

Count your lucky stars. My reciever hitch is welded on the frame and comes underneath the gas tank [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I dropped my tank at 3/4 full. It can be done.
    I created a 'cradle' from wood blocks that I mounted to my floor jack. To get the jack, cradle, and tank out may require
    rear whells on ramps so you need a tall jack. (especially if your truck is lifted but then you probably wont need ramps)
    Did it by myself also.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Forklift is the easiest...I love working on my truck at work! Hell i may need to buy my own forklift one day...good for tranny's too!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. 2Dogs

Yeah man! We had a hydraulic bumper jack for awhile. Sweet. Lifted about 3-4'. Those were the days - my friggin 1 car garage is so small and packed I need to go outside to fart!
    That is just one 'benefit' from living in the Bay Area....

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

9. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I've got one of the red holley electric fuel pumps somewhere around here it worked when I pulled it a few months ago. I'm in Portland and would take $50.00 for it. If you're interested let me know :)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

10. muddin4fun

You actually go outside to fart? I didn't know they made guys like that [​IMG] My hubby doesn't. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. 2Dogs

No, I would fart inside if there was room.... I can't lift a leg or flex for effect..... So it is outside or run inside to find the fiance and then blast - so rude!

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

12. muddin4fun

Ya, that's what I thought.

My father in law has your sig as a bumper sticker. It's pretty funny!!!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

13. 2Dogs

This post is starting to stink! LOL
    Muddin - you wouldn't have believed me if I claimed anything else.....
    I got a list of bumpersticker sayings via email - I should post
    on the off topic cuz there are some good-uns.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If the pump isn't completely hosed, do what I did this morning on the TA. Run a jumper wire to the fuel pump wire or soleniod, and run the fuel line into a jerry can. If the pump is totally gone, drop the tank with the fuel in it (with a jack if neccesarry), then use the new pump to transfer the fuel to the jerry can.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

15. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, but since the tank is way beyond the reach my floor jack and the farm shop is full, I'm taking it to a nearby farm shop. They have a forklift and will do it for $150.00 and I only have to tow it a couple of miles. The first time in my life I've taken one of my rigs to a shop, but I don't don't want to tow the fifteen miles home ( not sure my arms would hold up :-).