Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fuel pump question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, May 26, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

My K5 at one point had a pretty hi-po motor in it and the previous owner ran it out of oil and stuck in a junkyard 305. Any way the truck has an electric fuel pump in it and flows way too much I suspect since the carb is leaned right out and it still smells like pure gas out the tailpipes. What do I need to rectify this problem? A fuel pressure regulator like this one http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3044&prmenbr=361 ? A new electric fuel pump? What? I thought that the carb could probably only take so much and it was the carbs problem but I rebuilt that and it only helped mildly. Not sure what kind it is since I do not have the truck here and won't get it towed here for about another month. Any help is appriecated.

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

if you wanna go easy n cheap just go manual pump back on the block like original, also remember, it may just have the float set too high /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

problem is I can't remember if the stock lines are intact or not, doesn't there need to be a return line from the mechanical fuel pump? Carb was setup with the help of my Journeyman and he knows rochesters awesome, so I'm basing my thought that the carb is good on that.
    Funny thing is after I built the carb, the day after I took a round trip up to the mountains just over 1000kms and got 18-20mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just one experience here, I'm sure there are plenty others that HAVEN'T had this happen, but...

Put a 454 in dads truck. Decides to go with electric fuel pump. First one apparently too small, Q-jet starving for fuel on acceleration.

Get higher rated fuel pump. (both fairly noisy pumps) Now when cruising at lower speeds, engine stalls, and takes 5-10 minutes to restart, like heat soak or something. Insulate/relocate fuel lines. Problem still exists.

Add fuel pressure regulator. Problem occurs slightly less often. Still happens. Get sick of the problems, pull electric fuel pump, regulator, and install mechanical pump. All problems gone, troublefree operation for 3 years or more so far.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mechanical pump is far superior for a carb engine. I would never use an electric pump unless i had no other option.

6. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mechanical pump is far superior for a carb engine. I would never use an electric pump unless i had no other option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well, at least you don't change your regiment and continually give some of the worst advice possible. Electric pumps are far superior. In order for an electric pump to work properly, you require the pump to push and not pull fuel from the tank. This is why in tank pumps are better. Furthermore, regulate the fuel from 7-14 PSI, depending on the carb, float level and intended usage. Adjustable regulators are fairly cheap and easy to plumb.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So tell us why electric pumps are far superior. I'm sure I can give you just as many reasons why they are worthless in some apps as you can for why they are good.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would simply like to know what carb you feed 14 psi to, because I have never seen an electric fuel pump designed for a carburated application that made more than 9 psi with the average in the 5-7 range.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh well, at least you don't change your regiment and continually give some of the worst advice possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you're here to save us all from my stupidity. Why don't you go suggesting bolts that are too short, or 3/4" heims to locate your steering axle on a 6,000 lb machine with 44" tires, or go to a thread and talk about some steel cable rigging already, because the BS you're spewing is knee deep again and it's only just beginning.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have never used a electic pump on a carb and never will, everyone else ive seen do it has way to many problems on a stock motor. the only time i go to an electric pump is when i go to fuel injection

as for tims advise, there was only once when i disagreed with him, i don't even remember what it was about.

11. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh well, at least you don't change your regiment and continually give some of the worst advice possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you're here to save us all from my stupidity. Why don't you go suggesting bolts that are too short, or 3/4" heims to locate your steering axle on a 6,000 lb machine with 44" tires, or go to a thread and talk about some steel cable rigging already, because the BS you're spewing is knee deep again and it's only just beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the other guy- I prefer electric pumps because of their simplicity. Besides, I've floated (and subsequently cavitated) mechanical fuel pumps at high RPM. I could probably come up with a list as long as my arm which you would counter with equally reasonable responses; It's more a matter of preference or opinion on a stocker, but as the horse power goes up so does the need for an electric pump. If you have a decent electric pump in place, run a regulator and tune your fuel system in more reliably. For my money, I'd rather run electric and not worry about a 1/2 pound piece of steel hammering away at my cam on every cycle.

For the moron that's telling me my bolts are too short, perhaps you'd be willing to come up and build and show me the bolts that are too short on my truck. I'll save you the time and embarassment and let you know ahead of time that there aren't any.

What's wrong with 3/4" heims? No offense, but the people that are running larger heims have a suspension that isn't working adequately if they're breaking. Mine do not experience a high degree of misalignment, nor did I put them low enough to get busted off on some rocks. Once you get some experience building trucks under your belt, feel free to come back and tell me how I'm building something wrong.

Rigging? I never started a thread about rigging, you jumped into mine bitching about how I did things wrong and proceeded to tell me how you would change things. The fact is, you don't know anything at all about the subject at hand and I called you out on it.

Although I wheeled circles around trucks with 500 horse motors and dual steering rockwells and the only breakage I experienced lies in the steering box and 14 bolt axle shaft you can still call me out on how I built things wrong...

I'm willing to start a new thread to avoid the train wreck starting in this one.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    *** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh. That's better.