Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric fuel pump, reasons?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 30, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok just wondering if maybe I should go with a simple elecctric fuel pump when I install my fuel cell. Would not having the mechanical pump improve response and power output?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok just wondering if maybe I should go with a simple elecctric fuel pump when I install my fuel cell. Would not having the mechanical pump improve response and power output?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can stay mechanical, I would. They're much more dependable IMO.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've thought about putting an electric one in (along with the mechanical) to fill the float bowls on the carb before I start it. I don't drive it too much and it takes about 2 weeks and the float bowls are dry. Then it requires alot of cranking to get it to work. I also thought it might be nice to already have the "spare" installed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

mechanical pumps are fine but dont like high rpms every time i ran my truck up to 5000=5400 rpm id blow the pump after 3 including 1 edelbrock pump i put in a holley "red"pump electric and its been running for 5 years

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been running an electric pump on my 84 for 8 years with no problems. Like triaged mentioned above, your carb will prime in a couple of seconds with an electric pump. The main benefit for me is that my 305 was prone to vapor locking with a mech. pump, but with an electric pump you have constant pressure through the system right up to the needle and seat and therefore the vapor doesn't have chance to build up.

And in those cases where you're running high RPMs for more than a second or two there is a much lesser chance of temporary emptying of the bowls.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Same electric pump has lasted you 8 years? You're really lucky! I've had customers with two and three year old cars replacing them.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup. It's a Carter inline pump. The best way to ensure your pump lasts is to install the pump as close to the tank as possible and run an inline filter between the tank and the pump.......