Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryanvz1, May 15, 2004.

1. ryanvz1

ryanvz1 Registered Member

I just bought a Holley electric fuel pump and I was just wandering if it is going to make a big difference in performace over mechanical, and wandering what are some reviews of electric fuel pumps?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No difference whatsoever if we are talking about a stock setup.

Electric pumps are a waste of time and money IMO if there is no particular reason you need to run one.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Electric Fuel Pump *DELETED*

Post deleted by 1-ton

4. dyeager535

1) GM didn't have a vapor lock problem on their engines from the factory.

2) There are way too many GM engines making it past 100,000 miles without problem, for the fuel pump rod sticking to be a worthwhile reason to switch to an electric pump. They only used that setup for what, 30 years or so?

If you want additional noise, more connections in the fuel lines, more wiring, and additional components to fail, an electric fuel pump is the way to go.

That is my opinion, but I believe it is well-based in personal, and others, experience.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Electric Fuel Pump *DELETED*

Post deleted by 1-ton

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Well for a helpful reply you will not notice it but you will pick up a small bit of power if you remove the mechanical fuel pump and install a blockoff plate. It can also make for a cleaner install. And as far as noise goes While driving down the highway at 65mph with MT tires and the cd player cranking you know that fuel pump noise is not very noticable. I don't really see a lot of reviews on fuel pumps unless you are running an engine that really needs 140GPH which I doubt. A higher flow fuel pump may help if you are running a q-jet which has notoriously small fuel bowls and has been known to run dry in performance applications with the stock pump.

In addition I also use my electric fuel pump as a type of anti-theft device. I have a hidden kill switch that prevents the fuel pump from turning on with the ignition. A theif would get a few blocks and the bowl will go dry. I also made sure my wife knew to use it should the unthinkable happen and a carjacking take place. She can cut the fuel pump secretly and the truck will just stall and not run which will make the carjacker leave.

There are many good uses for an electric fuel pump. If you like the simple, boring, no imagination setup of a stock fuel pump then use it. If you like to think and enjoy trying new stuff and learning something go for the electric. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. ryanvz1

ryanvz1 Registered Member

Where would be the best place to mount it because I am going to be going through water.

8. dyeager535

Hey, if you can't post factual information it's not my problem, nor anyone elses.

No one's here to bust you down personally, but the guy asks for opinions, and opinions should be based somewhat in fact or experience over a wide range of time. And there are plenty of people here that fit that criteria.

Me? I just get sick of watching people make the same mistakes over and over again. I think I may just be one of the few that still cares and attempts to stop people before they do it. Usually it ends up "I've already made up my mind anyways, so unless your opinion backs up my decision, I'm going to ignore it."

We aren't dealing with race cars here, (those that don't mud race anyways!) and *most* of us are trying to build trucks that are as simple as possible, to keep them as reliable as possible.

It's not a matter of ego's. Post some info that makes me change my mind, and I will. Until then, when I can, (there are typically just too many variables for a "true" statement when working on vehicles) I'm going to put out information that I know to be true, and give a differing viewpoint when I don't agree. Nobody learns anything if they only hear themselves talk.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I am putting TPI on my truck, and would like to know which is a good pump? I have heard of some failing after a year or so, I want a good reliable pump, since I do drive this a lot. Thanks a lot.

10. dyeager535

Stock GM in-tank pumps have a very good track record of reliability. Due to sheer numbers that were used, I think that is easier to say than what a few people have experienced with aftermarket pumps.

Anymore, I don't know if you can trust Delco stuff or not. The pumps that were being made in the 80's and 90's may very well have been a much higher quality than what Delco is selling now. But certainly, failure within a year is unacceptable unless they have some ungodly amount of run-time on them, like in a police car, etc. I guess if I get 50,000 miles out of a pump I'd be happy, but I truly expect at least 100,000.

I bought one off of ebay, for a Cadillac IIRC. May still have the box in the garage. Since TPI already has a fuel pressure regulator, as long as it meets the minimum criteria for TPI (43-45PSI IIRC) it will work. The one I got is something like 60PSI.

Wasn't exactly a "perfect" fit in the TBI sending unit, but it will work fine. Just spec'ing one for a TPI Camaro will at least net you one that is supposed to be used on the TPI setup, and will fit with minimal effort. However, if you can find ones that will fit, but are NOT Camaro, you will probably have much better luck on places ike ebay, since the application isn't as popular.

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have run a electric fuel pump for about 4 years now with out a single problem.

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where would be the best place to mount it because I am going to be going through water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best mounting point is on the frame as close to the tank as possible but below it. Water shouldn't be a factor just make sure the pump you get is sealed. Also use heat shrink tubing on the electrical connections to keep them from corroding. And solder the joints, don't use crimp on connectors.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    Stock GM in-tank pumps have a very good track record of reliability. Due to sheer numbers that were used, I think that is easier to say than what a few people have experienced with aftermarket pumps.

Anymore, I don't know if you can trust Delco stuff or not. The pumps that were being made in the 80's and 90's may very well have been a much higher quality than what Delco is selling now. But certainly, failure within a year is unacceptable unless they have some ungodly amount of run-time on them, like in a police car, etc. I guess if I get 50,000 miles out of a pump I'd be happy, but I truly expect at least 100,000.

I bought one off of ebay, for a Cadillac IIRC. May still have the box in the garage. Since TPI already has a fuel pressure regulator, as long as it meets the minimum criteria for TPI (43-45PSI IIRC) it will work. The one I got is something like 60PSI.

Wasn't exactly a "perfect" fit in the TBI sending unit, but it will work fine. Just spec'ing one for a TPI Camaro will at least net you one that is supposed to be used on the TPI setup, and will fit with minimal effort. However, if you can find ones that will fit, but are NOT Camaro, you will probably have much better luck on places ike ebay, since the application isn't as popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have access to one out of a '92 T/A (fireturd, whatever), your saying it should work in my stock tank for my blazer?

14. dyeager535

No, I won't say it will fit, because I have no idea if the first gen tanks will accept the 87-91 sending unit.

In any case, a baffled fuel tank is a good idea for EFI setups, and I have no idea about availability of those for first gens.

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I won't say it will fit, because I have no idea if the first gen tanks will accept the 87-91 sending unit.

In any case, a baffled fuel tank is a good idea for EFI setups, and I have no idea about availability of those for first gens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have decided just to run an aftermarket pump. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Too much hassle to make it work.