Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skidpan, May 24, 2006.

1. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

I am tired of going out to my garage after a couple of weeks and taking forever to start my truck. I am wanting to go with a electric fuel pump. I know how to hook it up and all, i just dont know where i can get a decently cheap pump that will work for a stock carbed 350. I really dont have a bunch of money to play with, so i want to keep the price down as low as possible..

2. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NAPA $30-$40 there small in size and hold up from a while , not the best in the world but cheap .

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Look on ebay for a holley red pump. They are cheap, usually rebuilt and durable.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

bought a $12.99 one from autozone.... has been running just fine.....

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one thought...

Sometimes,on a rig not driven daily or that often,its better to let the motor spin over several times before it fires up..it gets oil pumped to the bearings and other parts before they get put under any load..

I did just what you intend to on a 71 GMC K1500 I had to plow my driveway years ago ..it rarely got driven other than when it snowed,and I often wished it had an electric fuel pump so it would fire right up instantly,because I'd often kill the battery cranking it long enough to get gas back in the carb bowl,making it a chore every time I went to use it--had to jump start it,etc....

So I bought an electric pump and plumbed it up,wired it,and it made a huge difference!--it would start within 2 revolutions every time,cold or hot!..but I noticed when I started it cold after sitting for weeks,,a noise like a woodpecker would come out of the block right after it started for a few seconds!..the dreaded sound of a "dry start", after all the oil had long dripped back into the pan,and all the bearings and oil pump would have to "pump up" again before it would go away..I think that led to an early demise for the 305 it had in it in my estimation...

I'd also wire the pump up to an oil pressure switch and a relay,so if the motor stalls,it wont keep right on pumping until the crancase is full of gas!:doah: ..

I didnt,I used a toggle switch,and had my truck stall on a snowbank while plowing,and as I was going to get a shovel and dig myself out,I noticed a strong gasoline odor!..my key was still "on",and the fuel pump flooded the carb,due to being parked at an extreme angle,and it dumped at least 2 qts of GAS into the crankcase!..:doah: ..I was lucky it didnt blow up when I started it up again!..had to change the oil immediately..not fun at 2 am,when I was supposed to be plowing peoples driveways so they could get to work the next day...:mad: :crazy:

I didn't have time to wire it up right the FIRST time,but I found time to do it OVER again!!..:rolleyes: ..