Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fuel pump?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

probably going to switch to an electric fuel pump when i install my new motor which will have a banks turbo on it. i have read a couple articles on the subject and more than one suggests swapping to an electric pump when doing the swap. whats a good pump to use and what sort of flow rates and pressures should i be looking for?...

2. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

the reason for installing an electric pump is to avoid the clearance issues with the adapter that the turbo kit places between the mech. pump and the block for the oil return of the turbo. just get the electric pump from a 6.5TD (94 would work fine.) also it makes it easier to keep the fuel lines away from the crossover pipe (the banks kit has the crossover on the front side of the engine instead of the rear)

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of putting 2 pumps on mine. They push better than they pull so I'd like to put a pump where the fuel line hits the frame. I've got a Carter for that. It's just a basic pump. eBay "6.2, or 6.5, fuel pump" and I'm sure one will come up. They run about $100 but if you look you can find them for $60 or less. My concern here is a filter. It will extend the life of the pump but I don't want the need to remember to change the filter every 5 to 10k miles:(:(

On the firewall I'm going to be using a Stanadyne FM-100 with the water drain & heater options. It's a very good pump and gives me lots of options on filters. I'm going for a 2 micron filter.

The pumps need to be able to maintain 7 to 9 lbs pressure and I forget at what flow rate but both pumps fit the requirements.