Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric fuel pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wasted wages, Apr 28, 2004.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

anyone run an electric fuel pump on their rig ?
    (not the in tank FI type) I have had 2 mallory pumps fail within 2 years. (140 gph) second one is dead now,,,thinking about going to a holley black pump,,, any thoughts or suggestions????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would suggest you go to the parts store and buy a lifetime warranty pump. My catalogs list a number of universal inline pumps for either EFI or carbs and the pricing isn't bad, either.

3. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

MSD makes fuel pumps as well. I ran one when I first put the Vortec in my rig. It was too loud for my taste. It was a high PSI unit though, maybe the lower pressure ones are a little quieter.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I currently run a electric pulse pump but it will get changed soon. One big thing when running an electric pump people tend to forget is to run a return line to the tank. This keeps fresh gas running through the pump which cools and lubricates it. If you have a 140gph pump on a stock rig using 30gph and no return line odds are the pump is running hot which will shorten it's life.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have run a Red holley on my blazer for the last 2-3 year with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I ran a Holley blue pump on my K10 for a few years when TARussell and I were racing it. The pump always worked flawlessly but it was loud.

If I had it to do again I would run a Barry Grant pump. BG offers one that pushes about 280 gph and it has a provision for a return line. Using a return line will help reduce heat build up and prolong pump life.

FYI - Most of the time I ran the Holley pump I ran a BG bypass valve that allowed me to have a return line back to the fuel cell.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use a Carter street/strip pump and it works pretty well. When I originally bought it a couple years ago it cost me $43.95 from Summit. I think they're in the sixties now...

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been running the same Carter electric pump on my 84 for the last ten years with absolutely no issues.....

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I went with the Holley black pump W/ regulator.
    I will be looking into the return line bypass,
    makes sense the pump will not have to run against full pressure all the time,will most likely run cooler.
    Thanks To All /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I recently switched from a leaky holley to a carter pump. Ten times quieter and it looks less likely to leak.