Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Heaters?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Anyone running electric heaters in the back? Brands? Likes? Dislikes? Prices? Where to get?

Thanks,,,

It's COLD up here in AK!! [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To heat the inside of a K5 you need to generate a LOT of BTU's. An electric heater would have to suck down a lot of current to generate that kind of heat. Perhaps you could swap in the rear heater from an old Suburban? It uses engine coolant to heat the air. The one in our '94 Sub will run you out of the truck, even when it's below zero outside.

Do you keep most of your radiator blocked off in the winter? That will help the stock heater work a whole lot better. JC Whitney also sells some aftermaket auxillary heaters that use engine coolant. I think they're $200 or less, depending on size and configuration.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I was looking into installing an electric one too. I'm going to wait until I get a larger alternator. I've seen ones that plug into the cigarette lighter, they should throw out enough heat to warm the rear. The stock heater puts out alot of heat. But my kids get cold in back when I have the "heat" on, when I put the defroster on they get warm because its not blocked by the seats. The electric heater in the rear would eliminate that problem. I'll post the brand of heater if I can find it.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've seen those little gadgets that plug into the lighter socket and help defrost the back window but they don't put out a huge amount of heat. I had one that came in a car I bought many years ago. I was most unimpressed with it's abilities. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I used a "back seat heat" bought it at wally world i think. It wires into the truck for a semi permanant install. Worked ok.. would not rely on it for all the heat but good for the back. In my K5 I have no problems at all with heat, even in subzero weather. Usally I have to turn down the heat or crack a window while driving. Make sure your heater core isn't all choked up.

6. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I've seen some at Wally World too. I'm going to go back and check them out, maybe use it as a cheap sort of rear defroster or something.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

7. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heater core tip,, but you don't know my truck, do you? hehehhe it's ok.. I haven't been as active as I once was...

anyway,,, 90% of my truck is brand new,, including the heater core[​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Iwas having heater problems until irealized I had a 180 thermostat changed it out for the winter and now itll cook you alive