Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Snowbound, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

Does anyone know the prices of the new Eaton Electric lockers

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Have they even released it yet? I thought I read in four wheeler that it wouldn't be out 'til summer. I'm not sure though, my short term memory is shot (wasted youth-literally!!!!). I would hazard a guess to say that it would be somewhere in the range of an ARB.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Nothing solid yet, but the guy that I talked to at the SEMA show about it said that it would probably be slightly higher than the ARB...depends on application. He was hoping to have them out in late Spring, but sounds like it just keeps getting delayed...who knows when it will actually come out?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was reading one of my wheelin mags from a few months back and it had a little blurb on a new electric "locker" from our buddies at tractech (or whoever gave us the detroit)... at any rate it was supposed to be basically a trutrac... and when you hit the switch it became similar to a spool. i really like my trutrac... and spools are awesome for serious wheels in the air traction.. so it sounds like a great idea. anyone see that blurb or hav any info on this thing?

J

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

electric sounds like a bad idea to me.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I suppose it has it's good points and it's bad points (just like the ARB air lines). The plastic ARB airlines can chaffe and leak, and the hardlines can break, leak, chaffe, and be pinched to the point of not allowing air to pass (even when routed where objects should not hit them). I guess it will be one of those wait and see how they work in the real world. Electric does have drawbacks too, cut, pinched wires, shorts, but as I say we'll see, I'm kinda interested to see how well they work.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

an airlocker rebuild 'should' be nothing more then common o-rings
    I have heard that ARB uses UK fittings that are uncommon in NA, hope the seals are more common.
    I would try and plumb with common available fittings
    air lines are super easy to repair and extra ferruls and line can be carried

corrosion is a major concern with wiring, for some reason most people are unaware of silicone dielectric grease

8. Leadfoot

another problem is copper wiring is no longer copper wiring only a percentage. Extra wiring and connectors can be carried too. It all depends on how you look at it. It's kinda like six of one, and half a dozen of another deal. Oh well, keep on truckin' /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the corrosion travels the length of the wire ruining it
    so when it finally fails usually the whole run needs to be replaced.
    with plastic air line you usually can get away with cutting it back to undamaged section and coupling it

10. Leadfoot

Agreed, but 50 foot of wire (way more than you'll ever need, and you should always carry some for other electrical emergencies) and a few connectors and crimping tool (which you should also have) don't take up much room (no extra considering you should have them regardless of what you have on your vehicle). You need them for other items on the vehicle as well whereas you don't usually need extra air lines and fittings unless you have a compressor for airing up and down (and those usually use different diameter hoses and fittings anyway), about he only thing would be if you have air shocks, but not many of the K5 world use them (I'm sure some do for towing but not the majority). The electrical items should be things you carry anyway, and the airlines are just added extras if you have an ARB. So actually you are saving room with the Eaton. I know it's picky. Like I said we will see how they work. I have electrical accessories on the outside of my rigs 78 and 80 and never had a problem with them and I live in the Salt Belt of the NorthEast. I have taken wires off that were 10+ years old and even though the wire had discolored inside, the accessories still worked. 10 years+ is not bad for having to do maintainence. Just think without electrical connections, your vehicle would not run (as it's designed).

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The entire truck is full of electric wiring...if there was some inherent problem with wire, wouldn't someone have noticed it by now? : )

Just poking fun, but wiring done properly is going to last a lot longer than rubber air line. By properly, I'm not talking about the way the PO of our trucks did the trailer wiring either :P

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I drive commercial trucks
    the electrical system causes more trouble then the air system
    always has
    of course the miles are much longer then personal vehicles and they run through all weather
    the temp sender for the diffs is usually corroded completely away

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the only comparison would be to look at the front ABS sensor or eventual trac wiring and try and do as good or better.
    also dielectric grease it to stop the corrosion.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I notice that most of the new crimp on ring connectors you can buy from the store are aluminum. We already know aluminum and iron don't mix, maybe thats part of the problem.

I can't explain why your trucks have more problems than GM vehicles..heck, most of our trucks rust away to nothing before having serious wiring problems, not caused by a previous owner messing it up.

All the ring connectors and weatherpack GM connectors I have ever seen are steel or brass, which is costly. Cost savings being what they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see "cheaper" connectors being used.

As to routing the electric OR air lines, wouldn't it make sense to run them along with the normal brake line that drops down from the frame and bolts to the axle at the "pumpkin"? Rarely hear of anyone snagging or having problems with that connection.

15. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I am exicted about the eaton magnetic lockers there is a mention of them in Petersens april issue i think. I plan on running a detroit in the rear and a eaton magnetic locker in my front dana60(which i just got today WOOO HOOO...$1000 damn...). Then rear i don't worrry so much about unlocking as much as the front for turning/road use. Summer? i can wait