Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric or hydraulic winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jessemac, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jessemac

jessemac Newbie

I haven't heard a whole lot about hydraulic winches. What are the pros/ cons of electric vs. hydraulic.
    Thx

2. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i've been debating the two myself and would like to see what people have to say. from what i gather:

hydraulic pros: cheaper, more powerful (per dollar)

hydraulic cons: motor don't run = winch don't run

not that you can get far on battery alone on electric one but sometimes that few feet makes the day.

3. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I"ve got a PTO winch on my truck and can winch all day non-stop. The longest non-stop winching I've done is 15 min (when all my cable got spooled up, then removed one tow line and winched another 15 min). I think PTO is alot better than hydraulic. Get a pto if you can. No overheating of fluid and no pump to worry about. Winch weight is about the same. Oh yeah, it's a 'Braden' winch if you want to search the net.

4. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

pto..iffy to

no motor no winch...electric with a couple of optimas hasn't let me down yet!

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Electric for me all the way! Back when I still had a single batt. I could still pull for 2 or 3min. with the engine off, and that SAVED THE DAY!! more than twice :bow: Now I have dual batt. (standerd, not optima) and I have yet to run them so low that I cant start the truck agan (with the welder or the winch)
    It's the off camber or on youre side stuff (when the engine will not idle on it's oun) that I think would KILL ya with a hydro. :doah:

6. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the mile marker hydraulic. What changed my mind was if I put the Blazer on it's side, I would need someone else with a winch or enough room on a trail to get me back upright. I would have felt dumb having a $900 hydraulic winch that couldn't put me back upright. Down the road I might put the hydraulic one on front, and use a hitch mount/ removable electric for the rear or, vice versa.