Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric or hydraulic winches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Is one better than the other? I'm thinking about getting either a Warn or Mile marker winch.

2. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

I don't know a whole lot about winches but from what I've heard when looking around I decided to go with the Warn Winch.
    Electric: Easy to hook up and fast, not good for long pulls
    Hydraulic: More complicated to hook up, slower than electric, if your engine stops running so does your winch, but they can pull all day troublefree

'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would say if your on a farm or somthing and using your winch for work and stuff like that then get a MileMarker hydralic. If your wanting it for wheelin to get you out or off the mountain then I would go electric. Ya never know when yer gonna need it cuz yer motor died crossin a river or its on its side and the carb is flooded out. with the right ancor points you can right side your rig and be on your way but with hydro your gonna need that motor runnin.....
    Also having a good backup battery system too so if you drain your primary batt putting yer rig back on all 4s you can flip the switch and still start yer motor with your freash back up batt...
    http://www.hellroaring.com this is what I'm talkin about, I have Dual Optimas with this Iso/combiner and now I just need a winch[​IMG] I will get the Warn 9500I
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

this has been discussed and argued at lengths....do a search, there has been many good points for and against for both types.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I just got back from the SEMA show in Vegas and saw the new warn #15,000 lbs winch......Its a monster, trucks just seem to be getting bigger I guess.

6. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I have a diesel with 2 batteries already. Would I need a third battery to run an elecric winch?

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I don't have very many bad things to say about electric winches, or good things to say about hydraulic's. For the simple reason of this. Look back a couple years when either fourwheeler or petersens did a comparison between the two. Guess which prevalied. Well lets just say this, the electric ended up PULLING up the hydraulic equiped truck. Here are a few more down falls. 2 of which I can relate to:

1. Fuel. Is your truck ALWAYS full of fuel? If not, in a off camber situation your fuel can be away from your fuel pickup in the tank. = Dead engine. happend to a friend when turning around on a road & slid into ditch <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

2. Stuck in creek, river, flood water: If your power steering becomes contaminated it will froth up and render not only your steering but your winch inop. Factor in that the powersteering pump is located lower than your bumper on your truck where your winch would be located. <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

You are the only one on the trail with a winch, your truck: flips, breaks (engine malfunction) etc. You are stuck. You can't just remove your winch from your truck. If you had a electric winch you can: run down your batt's and or borrow others batt's. Another plus is your friends can remove their batt's when the truck is running so recharging is not a problem. Recover your truck and or friends. It may be slow going but guess what... <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If your doing a major pull on either your truck or a friends truck and you "Smoke" your electric winch, stop, let it cool and continue. If you "smoke" a hydraulic pump or fluid... <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If you want a winch that will be transfereable from either front and rear of the vehicle OR you have multiple vehicles and only want to purchase one winch: <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If you don't have a snatch block and your anchor point is 10'-50' away or you are doing a lot of continues pulls: hydraulic prevails Keep in mind, most people only need to be pulled a short distance, and in cases where lots of people need to be helped they only need assantance. Usually a strap would do just as good as a winch. This could be also considered a tie

Well I hope this helps. I wouldn't ever put a hydraulic winch on my truck as my main source of recovery. Hydraulic's have their place. These are heavy duty applications like wreckers and industrial recover. Sitations where you have access to additional help and don't influence a daily used component. Do your self a favor, save mone, save face & buy a FRIGGIN WARN WINCH!!!!!!! YOu will NEVER go wrong with a Warn product.

Best of luck, keep wheelin and bolt anything Warn produces onto your truck.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez