Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric or mechanical gauges, which is better

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 15, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am doing a custom gague install in my truck and I think I have heard that mechanical gauges are better (more accurate...what do you all think?
    Brent

2. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Go Mech.

From what I understand electrical gauges can give false readings if your electrical system malfunctions, so I would use mech. gauges.

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

if you can take some pics of how it turns out that would be great.im thinking of replaceing my factory gauges but i want to use the factory location for the new gauges. is that what you are going to do?

BIGBLOCK MAN

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

cheap electrics are bad there readings change with voltage. A good electric gauge like VDO is better than most cheapmechanical one, The best word is to mix them up! I run VDO some are mech. most are electric,

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Yes, I am going to use the stock locations..I have it all planned out, Gotta convince the wife to release the funds. The speedometer will be the most expensive then the tach...but I thing they will be the most difficult to install. Ill keep ya informed on how it goes!

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I think I've read a few guys on here tried installing gauges in the factory locations and didn't have much luck at it.

L8r,

.Riz.

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Always had trouble in the past with electric and the damn sending unit for oil pressure. So now I have a mechanical gauge and I really like it. No problems.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad