Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Razors...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck79K30, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

ok guys and gals, who here has one??

and WHY are the replacement heads for my norelco, 4 dollars less than a whole new razor?? i mean, i dont use it that often, my facial hair dont grow that fast so i keep it trimmed and a regular razor on my sideburns, but wtf over?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

tough it out till the christmas sales. I got a $100 electric for like $12 year before last, its about to need a replacement though, motor makes some weird sounds some mornings

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Id rather use my straight razor, electric just pulls the hair out...

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

hell they got a nice norelco for 39.99, and my heads (Set of 3) is 34.50... wtf?

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same here, dunno what it is about my facial hair but electrics just rip it out. Although replacement blades aren't exactly cheap these days either...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a Norelco for 20 years. Finally gave up on it when it needed its 3rd set of batteries. They aren't user-replaceable, and it cost too much to have them replaced. I picked up an $80 Remington foil style razor on Amazon for $30 when they were running a clearance.

The Remington shaves smoother than the Norelco did, but it has its own problems...

1) It misses a few whiskers nearly every day. Once they're a tad too long, they don't get cut at all by the foil cutter system. I guess that they don't fit into the holes in the foil properly when longer. So I'm always using the side trimmer to get the long hairs first, THEN shaving. It's more hassle than using the Norelco was.

2) The foil doesn't last long. One row developed a small hole near the 1-year mark, so I had to buy a new set of foils. Cost something like $23! Ugh! By contrast, my 20-year-old Norelco was still on its original set of heads when it finally gave up. :cool1:

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

How long did you give it? That's only true in the beginning. I thought the same thing when I first started using mine, but my dad told me to give it time and that my face would get used to it, or "broken in". Sounded insane, but turned out he was right. After 2-3 weeks of daily use, it went fine and was a lot less irritating than a blade. Turns out it was in the instructions too. :doah:

I've got a basic norelco that I've been using for three years now on a daily basis, haven't even sharpened it. Batteries still last forever, no problems whatsoever. But if I go more than 2 days without shaving, I have to trim it down with the clippers first, otherwise the norelco will pull. That's only if the hair is too long though.

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I use a Norelco elec. I shave my whole head every couple of days. They lastabout 2.5 years before I need to replace it. I tried the foil kind, it sucked. For me at least. I'd have to take 30 passes at a swath of hair before it got it all completely. The norelco just 2-3 passes and it's good.
    I never buy the replacment blades, I find by the time they are worn, the motor is weak, the trimmer is busted, the battery won't hold a charge ....

9. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have a Braun now. It is around 2.5 years old and still works like a champ. This is my 2nd set of foils but I changed the 1st at the 1 year mark like the manual said. I really didnt need to but did anyway. It uses AA rechargeables so in a bind I can used regular AAs. I had a Remington before this one. I had to change the foils every 3-4 months. After a year I couldnt use it without it being plugged in.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Electric razors = squat to pee

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha: