Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric rear tailgate?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lbending, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Lbending

Lbending Newbie

I'm looking to convert my rear tailgate window to electric on my 73 Blazer. Is there a kit out there with all the parts I would need? If not does anyone know where I can get a list of the parts and how they go into the tailgate. I have the original big GM manual but it does not show it. Was this not available on the 73 models? Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Lee

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I know it was available on the burbs, cause I have a '73 that I got from the originl owner and he said it came on it as an upgrade/option. Dont know about the blazers, I'm sure someone on here will know. You can look in the LMC catalog and it has a diagram of the inside of the tailgate and pretty much all of the parts you need. If you dont have a catalog you can order one, they are free www.rockauto.com they have the electric motors for real cheap, and for the lmc parts, pm 'sarazk5' and she can get you a better deal. Or if you are not in a hurry, put a want add on the parts forsale/wanted forum and you can get everything alot cheaper from someone parting out there truck or converting their power to manual. Then you can get the harness and everything.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 07/20/01 04:52 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just did the opposite to my 87 Jimmy. I hated the electric because it worked slow, didn't work half the time, cold weather messed it up, just a pain in the a$$. I went right to GM and bought everything that I needed to convert over. But you can get everything through GM, LMC, any of those places.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless you live in the rustbelt, it's easiest to just track down an electric tailgate from a later model truck and swap the parts. This gets you all the little pieces too. You'll also need the wiring harness from the dash back to the tailgate. I've got an electric tailgate from an '88 laying in the garage, but I'm going to install the whole gate on 'my 75 since the original is not as clean as this one and I'll have to paint the rig soon anyway... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...