Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric rear window question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

After finishing our lift last weekend, we were cleaning up the Jimmy, started to roll down the rear glass and it crashed halfway into the tailgate. Found that the channel that the window sits in had rusted and broken. Spent most of the week arguing with Mr Goodwrench about the necessary parts(their computer doesn't know @#$@ about tailgates!) After three orderings I had all the parts I thought were necessary.

My main concern that the parts sheet showed the glass being held in place by a "filler," that turns out to be a piece of 2" wide very thin rubber. The factory installation had some other type of filler besides the rubber. The new rubber seems to hold the window in place, but I sure don't want it coming out again.

Anybody have any experience with this? One small side note, just because you wear a shirt that says, "Mr Goodwrench," and you work behind the parts counter,doesn't mean you know anything other than how to get to work.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My first foray into tailgate hell was very similar. The track that holds the glass had rusted to nothing and the window would'nt work. I found a rust free track at the wreckers but could'nt figure out how the window was held in the track. I finally got some adhesive sealant and filled up the track with it and then pushed the glass down into it. It worked really well and that glass is still firmly in the track 3 years later. I wish the rest of the tailgate was that easy to fix[​IMG]
    Rene

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I want to know something. Is there anyone here that doesn't have a messed up tailgate? Teh motors are all broken, they squeak, they rust and they wont open right. Did GM do anything right on them?

90K5

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My tailgate works fine...window is a little slow going up, but thats no big deal.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

Mine works just great .Had to replace a motor and the nylon rollers .

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

My tailgate works great but that's because I just replaced almost everything inside it with factory parts. The parts guys at my local dealership are great and the prices are better than almost everyone else including LMC, etc. I bought so many tailgate parts there that they gave me wholesale prices on everything! They're they only shop that I trust to work on my truck too. I blew a bead last weekend and I didn't feel like messing with it so they only charged me $10 to re-mount and balance it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never had my tailgate work like I think it should. It still amazes me that the same company that designed and built the small block and big block could come up with such a piece of sh#* for a tailgate.

I'll be getting my soft top in a few days and will enjoy removing the guts from my tail gate![​IMG] Anyone need cheap tailgate parts?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

90K5,

My tailgate now works great, and it doesn't squeak. After replacing the window runners, the rollers, the window channel, cleaning, greasing,and tightning everything, it should. Everyone with a working tailgate should check the drain holes at the bottom, mine were stopped up with the fuzz from the window runners and dirt.

9. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Try getting the sash (mounts on bottom of window), both cams (lower window part), and possibly the run channels (one on either side of the window). This should solve your window problems. I just had my window repaired on my '90 a week ago. Also been through this with my old '87 K-5. Both operate as well as can be expected.

Side note: I do work in a dealership, behind the parts counter. And just because a customer barges in the door claiming to know everything, doesn't mean it's true.

Side note #2: I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!! Nor do I take kindly to people who put down ALL DEALERSHIP STAFF!

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

10. pregate

pregate Registered Member

argh, i just spent 153 bucks getting some switch bypassed in for the window since the part is on national back order..
    it wouldnt go up before, now it works at least..
    we also need to get the lock replaced (stick the key in, turn, pull out.. lock comes with it)
    were gonna order both parts.. but still.. ick

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8