Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric rear window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Ok, the bitch goes down, but will not come up. Power to both switchs, im lost. I have no idea how these damn window's work but i just put 100$ worth of track in this bitch, it worked for a week and now the thing wont go back up.

anything i should look for? Its starting to get cold and its a bitch to drive this thing in the rain with the rear window down, the water hits the inside of the windshield :\

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Open the gate and flip the latch on the gate and then try to close the window with it laying down with the key in the gate. Becareful and try to support the glass when doing so (a friend helps). Also remove the access cover to get a look at what is going on when the motor gets power. It sounds like maybe something is bound and not letting the window go up or the motor is weak if that is possible.

Ira

3. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

In my 88, the rear window motor is connected to a cable that drives the actual mechanism to raise and lower the window. Perhaps that is on it's last leg? Mine went about 6 years ago. I drove around for about a month with a cordless drill latched onto the good half of the cable to work it until i got a new cable ordered.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have had a an issue with mine only going half way up ever since I bought the truck . You turn the key and pull it up it goes . However I noticed it would go up on its own on the freeway with the front windows open .

I stumbled upon a fix for mine by accident . The cover over the guts was pushed in from my stepladder ( had to fix the roof from an antenna accident , damn tree ) . It was always pushed in a little anyways from tailgating . The ladder made it so it wouldn't go back up at all . So I got the lightbulb over my head .

Well after I pulled the dents out of the cover a bit , it went up solo , no hand help from me .

Now I just got to really pull the dents out better and it should be baby a$$ smooth :thumb:

5. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

yea i have the cover off. it doesnt look like its bound up, and i wish i had another motor to try to see if that was the problem.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try disconnecting the motor cable from the regulator and see how the motor runs... That'll eliminate the regulator/window aspect of it..

Mines sucked since I got my truck... The regulator hangs up with about 6" to go and I have to get out and wiggle the glass..

Just another reason I'm gonna swap in the mechanical 77 stuff I have in the attic. Manual doors, tailgate, simple and reliable.. Just hope all that 77 stuff will work in the 87.. Need to peak thru LMC and see if the parts crossover...

7. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check the switch by the left side tailgate latch. If it's plugged in try a jumper on it. It's there to keep you from trying to roll the window up with the tailgate down. It will let you roll the window down, but not up.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2 on what he just said.