Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric rear window

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazytrain, Mar 21, 2007.

1. crazytrain

crazytrain Newbie

:confused: back glass wont go back up,had it apart and switched the wires still only got power on the down position of switch.anyone familiar with the rear window transmission?in theswitch? HELP ME! PLEASE!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a switch mounted to the drivers side latch. Wires running to it, if it fails or does not work, the window will not go up. Either fix or bypass that switch, (jumper the plug to test) just don't roll it up with the tailgate open.:)

3. BLIDVL

BLIDVL 1/2 ton status

I have a 89, my glass did the same thing, ther's a switch that hits the strike on the side of the body that allows it to complete the circuit, mine sticks sometimes and I have to reach in there and push it a few times and it works fine for a while. On my truck it's located on the passenger side but different years may be drivers side.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I just cut off the swicth and taped the wires together and done.
    Just don't put the window up while the gate is open.

5. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i just had to fix mine. the switch is on the driver side latch. take the 4 screws out of the latch, and the cover off of the tailgate, then disconnect the rod from the middle of the tailgate, (a plastic retainer keeps it on, it will unhook very easily) then you can pull the latch out of the gate and see whats wrong with it. the pin that holds the latch in place on mine was sloppy. it just worked loose over time. nothing holds them in they are just pressed on. mine was so sloppy that the latch wouldnt catch and hold, it would slip and open itself, and the window motor switch would not be pressed so it wouldnt go back up unless i pushed on the gate to close the switch. so i took it apart and pressed the pin back in (theres no way to put a pin in it or anything) and i guess we will see how long it will stay together this time. it seemed pretty snug. you can roll the window up with the door open, just be very careful not to shut it that way!!! this makes it very easy to get to the window parts and lube everything up while your at it.

6. crazytrain

crazytrain Newbie

fixed rear glass

:haha: after running the dash switch to rear glass i deducted the problem to be the dash switch itself,possibly moiture when i had it in the creek thanks to you all! oh yeh i plugged a couple holes in the firewall.