Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric tailgate motors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SteveB, Jul 11, 2000.

1. SteveB

SteveB Newbie

The tailgate window motor quit working in my 84 Jimmy. I checked all around trying to get a rebuilt one and then a new one. I was told the motors couldn't be rebuilt and new ones were no longer available. Can anyone tell me why these things can't be rebuilt? Could a later year motor be rigged up to work? I ended up putting a used motor in but it doesn't sound the greatest. Thanks.

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Sounds like somebody fed you some hoo-haa for lunch. If you have a pep girls in your area they should have them. They don't sell new ones, they sell remanufactured..which is why they have a core. I'd call some more parts stores.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

That a bunch of BS. They do sell them and you can get them at a partsd store or a dealer but dont go tho the dealer bec. they charged me almost $400 to do it and the ystill didn't do it right. Do it yourself and it takes about 10 minutes.

90K5

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with 90K5. I can get one from the GM dealer for $210 Canadian and it is one of the easiest repairs you can do on your Blazer. Just remove the access cover on the tailgate, unplug the motor, unscrew the drive cable, and then remove a couple of mounting screws.
    It IS rebuildable too, I rebuilt mine for 5 bucks. All I did was clean it up and replace the brushes. Worked good as new and saved me $200.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Check LMC truck too- www.lmctruck.com
    They carry just about everything you can think of for K-5s.
    They are fairly reasonable with their prices too.
    While your at their web site, you might as well order a free catalog too!
    Good luck.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

They can be rebuilt.Carefully disassemble the tail gate. The window will have to be raised with the tail gate open. I just open mine a bit and trip the switch on the drivers side of the gate and then raise the window. Carefully lay the tailgate down amd rest the window on something soft, wife or girlfriend will do...
    The guts can then be removed. The motor can be disassembled and cleaned. Look all around the motor and related connectors for corrosion, also check all the wiring from the tailgate back to the undercarriage, mine had a splice in it that had corroded and caused it not to work. Because the motor does not see all that much use over the years compared lets say to the heating and A/C motor, I doubt that the motor is bad. More then likely it is the wiring or power to the motor.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey OH SteveB, this is NC SteveB here...
    I thought I had a bad motor, turned out to be rusted drive cable. I am on 2nd new cable now, and oil it up good before I installed it. CAUTION: is you mess with the worm drive, and remove it, the scissors mechanism becomes a spring trap. It caught my finger so bad the only way I could free myself was to get a big screwdriver (lucky I could reach it). If I had read the manual... it tells you: drill a hole in the scissors and lock with a sheet metal screw.

SteveB

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agreee that is BS I got mine through a Napa dealer .