Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric tailgate parts and wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryand7, Apr 22, 2002.

1. ryand7

ryand7 Registered Member

89 K5 with electric rear window. Mine finally bit the dust. I can use the switch inside the cab but the key switch on the tailgate is no more. I tore into over the weekend and found out that the electrical connection that plugs into the end of the lock switch is busted. Does anyone have or know where I can get this wiring harness and a new switch. I called LMC and they only have the key switch. Any help is greatly appreciated..

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I know someone who has the parts you need. I'll send you an email with a contact name and email address.

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I wanted to add something.
    I was just trouble shooting my tailgate this weekend. What could be wrong when the switch inside the cab works fine but the key operated switch in the tailgate does not work? I checked for voltage right at the tailgate by disconnecting the red/orange wire and it checked out to give 12 volts when I turned the key in either direction but it is not rolling the window up or down any suggestions?
    anthony

4. ryand7

ryand7 Registered Member

That was my problem except I could rollit down and not up. I took out the key switch and noticed that the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the key switch was busted and the electrical connec tion inside the key switch was broken. You might want to check that out..

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The contacts inside can easily become corroded. Same idea as the door lock switches (rockers basically) and just as easy (or easier) to repair. Apparently they can break, although I personally haven't seen that. Once you get it apart (easy) you can clean up the contacts and that should solve your problem.

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

how do you get at the tailgate key switch? is it something that can be done in one day? the fact that i got 12V readout when i used the key mean anything to trouble shooting exactly whats wrong.
    Anthony

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tailgate key switch entails removing the access panel, and basically unbolting the regulator assembly, (4 bolts) then unbolting the key switch (2 bolts) and disconnecting the connector on its back.

Have a cordless drill or vise grips handy, you'll need to move the glass up and down to get at all the bolts (all 10MM I believe) and taking the drive cable off the motor and chucking it in a drill should work. Never tried it, never had one handy. Vise grips work, but are slow.