Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric tailgate window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Feb 1, 2003.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

The window wont go up and down anymore. Its original on an 84. When turn the key in the tailgate i can hear the motor trying to engage, but nothing moves. I cleaned off the electrical connections and still nothing. It just barely starts to turn the cable but the window wont move. Do i just need a new motor. I have duals straight out the back, so its like a fumigation in there when i have the top on. Thanks for your help.

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

take the cable loose from the motor and try spinning it with a cordless drill. You might need to lube the tracks etc.

3. FergsK5

FergsK5 Registered Member

Same issue with my 84. Seems to happen sometimes, and sometimes not. Always seems to get stuck down when it is raining or I have to park in the city. Not sure what the real problem is, but I've read something about the tailgate latches not latching properly. Worth a look I guess. Good luck.

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

check the cable somtimes they can unwind inside and the cable will not be able to move you can get a new one from the dealer cheap

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The drivers side latch has a switch in it that only works when the latch is closed. You can pull the plug off the switch and short it with a wire to make sure the switch isn't the problem.

Like everyone else has said, the problem in the original post is prolly the drive cable going bad... either that or the gears need to be greased. Another problem with the key switch is that the contacts corrode with age and it doesn't make enough of a circuit to drive the motor. It helps a LOT to run a new 12 gage power wire back there from under the hood and run the window motor off a relay, using the factory wiring to trigger it.