Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric to Manual Tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What's involved in the swap?

Easier to find someone willing to trade whole tailgate systems?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, I would think it'd be easier to just swap the whole tailgate.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

you want to take electric out? it's easy if you have the parts. You need the regulater and outside handle from a manual tailgate. all the other internal parts are the same. the window channels and window rail.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Really easy to go either way, they are whole systems in themselves minus the window channel and the window, you need the scissors and the crank handle or the scissors motor and wiring for the elctric. Swapping whole gates would be more of a pita in my opinion.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went from manual to electric once and the hardest part was running all of the wires. Shouldnt be a big deal.

6. bablazer73

I'm taking the electric from 87 and putting it in the 76, then the manual from 76 goes to 87.

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well i would trade you systems if you were somewhere closer i want to go back to electric.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I went from manual to electric once and the hardest part was running all of the wires. Shouldnt be a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking with BlazerWheels the other night coming back from Hollister about this. It's gotten me thinking real hard about doing the swap.

When I was looking for a K5, I wanted all electric everything, especially the tailgate for the ease. And of course of everything, the least realiable of all the electrics has been the tailgate ever since I mucked it up a few years ago and I've been thinking that since it's officially retired from DD and roadtrip duty (until I get a tow rig), it makes sense to go with something more reliable.

In that sense, would it be feasible to replace the glass with plexiglass? Something semi-thick, yet thin enough that it would bend with the contour of the top rails when going up?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have electric and want manual... anyone near by wanna swap? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. bablazer73

If you weren't on the other side of the world, I'de swap!
    seems every truck i get lately has manual, I want power on the DD's. The trail rig don't have a window! then, it doesn't have a top!

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Do you have any manual sub. parts? I'd trade with you.

12. bablazer73

no!! the only one I have is electric!! pissed me off that it wouldn't work in a blazer gate!

13. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Check tis out
    I will Trade someone a complete good - great condition manuel set up for there complete good - great condition electric set up
    With Keys both ways please or ill just sell a manuel shoot me a pm with a offer
    R

14. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check tis out
    I will Trade someone a complete good - great condition manuel set up for there complete good - great condition electric set up
    R

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Doc, I sent ya a PM, but Bubba should probably be first in line on this... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Check tis out
    R

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Doc, I sent ya a PM, but Bubba should probably be first in line on this... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got first dibs. Not only was it you that brought this up, but it's not feasible for me right now.......... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif