Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric vs. bi-metal strip choke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustBuket, Aug 18, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I am swapping motors in my 81' blazer and the motor that came out had an electric choke and the motor thats going back in has a bi-metal strip. Would it be ok if I just took the "internals" out of the electric choke housing and put it on the new(er) motor? TIA for any replies.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Keep the electric...trust me. Swap the carbs.

FYI...both are bimetal strips. One just heats with an electric element and the other heats off the engine.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I want to use the electric but I don't want to swap carbs because the one is shat. Would it be bad if I had it heating with electricity and off the engine?

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can swap the electric guts into the hot air carb. You may have to drill out rivets on one or both and replace them with the little bolts.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, I've never had a problem with the "divorced" coil choke setup. If you know one works, use it.

I have no particular fondness for electrical ones. Perhaps its user error, but it seems more people have a problem setting them up right than with the divorced style. Although probably inherent to both styles, my dad tested a few electric chokes that he picked up, and they took anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes to open "fully".

He also went to swap an electric choke on his earlier style q-jet, and it was NOT a simple bolt on/re-rivet operation. No clue what the choke came off of, except for sure a GM application, but it would NOT just "bolt on" in place of the divorced setup. The carb casting was different. Lots of shimming and what not to get everything lined up. I think also the shaft from the housing to the choke linkage was a bit different.

I know some people have done the swap ok, but not all of them will accept the choke that easy. May be an early vs. late carb difference, since the carb he was putting this on was a "pre emissions squared front" style, not the typical post-'74 ones with the dome on the passenger front corner top of the carb, which is what an electric choke donor will almost certainly be.

Sounds like exactly what you want to do. I'd suggest pulling the electric choke off, and examine the mounting on the divorced style before trying it.

Don't forget the oil pressure switch for the elecric setup as well.