Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric water heater elements, grr..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 2, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i am having problem with el;ectric water heater burning up the lower element, this is a normal 30 gallon house electric water heater, the water heater is no more than a couple years old i replaced it myself and lower element wont last very long at all, i just put in a good one last week and already it has rotted and broke it, they rot about one inch from the threaded base of the element every single time, that is the only place where it rots through.

there is a TON of calcium flakes and jelly crud junk in bottom of the tank the water around here is crap quality

what would cause element to rot so fast like this ?

im getting tired of changing them

when i ever find new work i am going to replace with gas one and be done with it but i have to keep this electric setup going for now

do i need to install water softner or what ?

what does it sound like needs to be done ?

thanks for anything

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yep and Yep...

You need a water softener and some filtration of some sort. Another thing you can do to help it out is drain the water heater every once and a while. But a week? Sounds like the crap has built right up to the element. Drain that thing. Turn it over for a while and then fill it and drain it again. Or start with a new one and drain it at least once a year to get that crap out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah its full up to lower element, i scooped out what i coul with a butterknife and spoon through the lower element hole, but it has burned up this other element i installed already in just a day

cant afford a water heater or water softner, so guess am stuck with no hot water til whenever i can find a new job..

thanks

4. landsmasher

Electric water heaters suck anyways. Go gas next time if you can... Propane?

5. landsmasher

Try this if you have a few bucks.

Go buy some CLR. Dump it into the top of the water heater. Let it set for a while. Then turn the water heater upside down and drain it. Then flush it out real good. Be careful not to break anything off the heater. Then put in a new element and give it a shot. It should work for another year.