Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric Water Pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Nov 21, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I just bought a bunch of parts. Included is a new in the box electric water pump. Anybody know anything about these? I'm not sure of the advantage unless you were racing maybe. I do know that I need a new water pump though. I think I am just looking for trouble by using this.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The DO draw quiet a bit of current, but depending on the brand, they can be quite dependable. But I am a big believe in the KISS principle on everyting BUT fuel injection...

Chris

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need to find out what the manufacturer recommends for its use. A lot of them have limited duty cycle (drag racing) and others have a short MTBF (mean time before failure).

The waterpumps you get at the auto parts store for $14+core work good enough for me.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard combined with an electric fan you can save a few ponies(like 20 to 30) but they are expensive and I don't trust electricly driven parts as much as mechanicly driven stuff. Another prob is if you have both electric fans and a pump, have a good size stereo system and all the other stuff that use power... you might need a bigger altenator. My new system alone supposedly draws nearly 100 amps at full power(1,500watts total ) and I know my stock alt couldn't keep up with more electricly powered stuff especially driving at night with the lights on.

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could trade down for a good mechanical water pump and a cpl picks? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though, I agree that a water pump should be kept mechanical. Perhaps you could use it to pump something less important than coolant? Hydraulics? Boost?