Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electric winch + underwater

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fasthumpman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

i know this is a stupid question but is it safe or even possible to use my electric winch when its completly submerged underwater?????

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is safe and possible.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Depending on the winch it will work but it will destroy it. There are only a few that are water proof. Most of them are water resistent. There a big difference. Even going to the car wash and spraying them off is not good. The new T Max is water proof and some of the new milemarkers. I have a warn ti and right from warm themselves there not water proof.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...but if I were stuck under water I would not hesitate to use the old 8274 for a second. There are worse things than a fried winch motor.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

There is a big difference between water proof and water resistant. No electrice offroad winch is water proof. I don't care what the manufacture or Marketing department in the case of T-Max says.

I would like to see the documentation saying the Chinese made T-Max or Chinese made Superwinch is water proof.

I have seen test done on a lot of Chinese winches and none of their specs are accurate. Their line speeds are slower, their amperage draw is much higher, and their pull rating is lower than their "advertised" specifications.

You can use the winch uderwater and it will work. The main thing is to make sure the motor is dried out. This can be done by using it and creating heat to evaporate the moisture. If you let it set, it will rust. The other mechanical parts are the same way.

If I were to submerge mine, I would take it apart and re-lube all the mechanical parts.

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

The tmax is made in austrailia not china. Thats not to say that some of the parts arent made in china.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

T-Max has a good Marketing plan that makes it sound like they are made in Austraila. The T-Max is made in China and in the same plant as the Milemarker. It was originally designed and manufactured in Austraila, but to save cost, and undercut the American manufacturers (Ramsey & warn), it is now made in China.

Here's the T-Max statement straight from their site:
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND MERCILESSLY TESTED IN AUSTRALIA"[/FONT]

Where does it say it is made in AU? Oh, and they also offer an awesome 1 year warranty...

Here's a link to the China company making the T-Max.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  8. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Read what you just wrote. Originally designed and manufactured in Austraila.

Also designed,engineered and tested in Austrailia. If its assembled in china its still assembled with the specs that Austrailia engineered into the product.

Back to the origanal post if you submerge a winch its not good for it and it will shorted the life of the product. If you tear it apart and clean,dry and lube it it will extend the life of it. But i would also bet that if you tear it apart and lube and clean it it will void your warrenty that you have.

9. bigjbear

Someone post the pic of the stripped gear from a T-Max, please.

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This one?

Actually this is from a Milemarker winch, but both companies use the same cheap chinese components. - Hence the 1 year warranty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bigjbear

That is the one, thanks.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Well, they used their questionable advertising gimmicks to lead you to believe the winches are built in Australia. I'm sure they wouldn't do anything else questionable... like maybe put in parts made with cheaper metal? Oh sure, the gear is made to the same physical size specs, but is it really the same? I don't trust any claims by companies who mislead consumers through questionable advertising.