Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ELECTRIC WINDOW PROBLEMS....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Oct 19, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, my rear electric window was having problems. I replaced the side channels, motor, transmission reg, drive cable and cleaned and re-greased everything REAL good. Now the window hauls ass up, but it very slow going down. I put the old motor and transmission back in and it does the same thing. So I guess I wasted my money on those two items[​IMG] Anyways, I took the felts along the top of the tailgate off and the window completely out, and still the same thing, so I know its not binding that I can see. What would make it so slow on the way down? Its not hitting anywhere. Could the actual regulator be tweeked somehow (the big gears facing the center with the arms that hold the window)? But if that were the case, then it seems it would be slow up and down. Fast up, slow down, like its struggling to get down. Any ideas????

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

just an Idea....

You may want to trace the tan/white wire I believe it is that controls the down motion and look for any frays in the wire...the fray's may be the cause for the loss in voltage--meaning it lowering slower-- The blue one could be perfect and thats why its so quick....also there may be more resistance in down motion on purpose to keep from slamming the glass down

Logically it seems like it should be faster down than up once its free of the weather stripping

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree....it is likely a frayed or twisted wire that has a crack in the insulation. Check where the wire comes out of the tailgate. There is a 90 degree turn there. Also....make sure that someone (maybe a long time ago) tried to install trailer brakes lights and cliped into the tailgate window wire first, then realized it was wrong and left a slice in the wire or a spliced wire that is open on one end. You can check the end voltage with a voltmeter. If the down power wire is bad, the voltage should be lower than the up.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

There is also a spring that helps the window go back up, so going down will work against the spring and make the window go slower. Just another Idea.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Actually now that the window is back in, it doesnt go up as fast as I was first thinking it did. The window makes it up and down now. Still seems like its struggling. I'll check out the voltage and see if both up and down have the same going through them. I still dont have the felts in (they sent me ones for a burban[​IMG]) and it sure doesnt seem like its going to have the balls to get up and down through the felts. We will see!
    1986 Blazer, I know you've redone yours, how many seconds approx. does it take the window to get all the way up, and/or all the way down? Just want an idea of how fast it should be going. Maybe I'm , expecting too much. Thanks!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you watched voltmeter/given it gas while trying to raise/lower the window? Both my former '83 and my '86 would roll windows up and down when idling or off, but it was/is slow. As long as voltmeter is showing 13 or so (giving it a bit of gas) they hauled pretty good : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

With the glass out it will go down slow and up fast because of the spring. The spring is to help with moving the glass up and without the weight of the glass it will really fly. The reverse is also true, the weight of the glass helps the motor with the spring tension, and without the weight the motor struggles to overcome the spring. I would say that with everything being new, the glass being in, and the window still moving slow, you either dont have good power to the motor or you got a bad motor. I have seen new electric window motors that "worked" but didn't have any strength. Let us know what you find out.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

8. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

My rear window takes 4 seconds to go down and 4 seconds to go up. The time is the same with the engine running or at stop. The up and down times are the same as before the rebuild. The felts do not bind at all on the window. If you need the part numbers for the felts, I have them on my site under the page covering the install.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

9. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you wanna get rid of your extra motor? mine's been out for awhile, with the top off it wasn't a problem. but with winter coming....
    i'll take either one, let me know.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with the wiring where it exited the tailgate. The wires can easily get frayed or pinched in that location.

John

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My rear glass goes up and down in roughly 3 to 4 seconds in either direction running...and just a tick slower when not running.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Actually yeah I am looking to get rid of one of the motors, I have an extran transmission for the regulator too. Shoot me a pm, it'll be a week or so, but I do want to get rid of one.

Well I went out and timed my window with the truck off. Takes about 4 seconds up or down. It just sounds like its struggling or something. Maybe its just me. This is still without the seals along the top of the tailgate installed[​IMG] I will check out the voltage thing this weekend and with it running and so on. Thanks for all of the help. I'll let you all no if anything changes (low voltage, frayed wires, pinched wires, etc.)

13. Sweetginger

Sweetginger Registered Member Premium Member

nailed it. i just took mine apart and figured this was going on