Electric windows

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Jan 10, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Nov 10, 2003
    Having problems with the electric windows in a 91 blazer. All windows go up and down s l o w l y. Since each has its own switch and motor, what could cause a low voltage to this circuit? The windows are in good shape and do not appear to be binding anywhere along the way up or down. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
  2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dec 24, 2003
    Mine do the same on my '91. I'm pretty sure that they're binding as they move faster when they're wet! ( we get a lot of rain in England!)
  3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Here are a few things to check:

While they each have their own switch, they share a common power feed from the fuse panel.

Cleaning the connectors on the backs of the switches will help transfer more voltage to the motors. As the connectors get old and tarnished they create extra resistance in the circuit, limiting the power that the motors see. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The channels that the window rides on (down inside the door) get dirty. I've had good luck spraying them with aerosol white lithium grease.

At the end of each arm that attaches to the bottom of each window is a plastic roller that has a ball-and-socket type of connection. After 10 years or so it seems that the plastic swells slightly and binds against the ball. So now, instead of rolling back and forth in the bottom track as the window goes up and down, it just gets dragged back and forth. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Someone has posted on here before that there are aftermarket replacements for the rollers, but I can't remember where to get them. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm also fairly certain that you would have to remove the entire lift assembly from the door to replace the rollers. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif